Green Paint Samples On Wall

Posted on | March 13, 2010 | 38 Comments

From left to right: Cooking Apple Green, Teresa’s Green, Verte De Terre, Light Blue, Green Ground, Saxon Green.

I know I have more important home projects then picking paint colors but it’s rainy and cold outside and I couldn’t resist trying out some of my new Farrow & Ball paint samples up on the wall. The colors look totally different in the space then I would have imagined. I choose some green and blue tones so I would have a good range of choices. I forgot to get a sample for my favorite color, Blue Gray (seen below). Somehow I confused it with Light Blue; #4 from the left.

I’ll report back with photos of the paint colors in different light situations. I literally just painted the samples on the walls so the colors will continue to change as they dry. Hopefully, the Blue Gray paint pot will come early next week.

Ordering Sample Paint Pots
Pale Green Walls with Cream Trim
Off-White Trim Colors From Farrow & Ball

Comments

38 Responses to “Green Paint Samples On Wall”

1. Jean Molesworth Kee
    March 13th, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

Hi Katy,

Raining here in DC too. Umm.. really depends on lots of other factors…light exposure, color of floors, etc–hard to pick color in isolation like that.

Cooking Apple green is yummy..have used in kitchen.

2. Jessica
    March 13th, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I like the Blue Grey or the Light Blue. It’s the perfect project for a rainy day.

3. Kate F.
    March 13th, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

Looking forward to seeing them dry! They look dark, but I can see some parts getting lighter as they dry.

4. Karen I
    March 13th, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

We used Theresa’s green in our children’s bathroom. We also added 1/2 white to tone it down for a room with less light. Also, we used the color Borrowed Light in our bedroom. All of the colors are pretty. Good luck with your decision

5. Newly Domesticated
    March 13th, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

I love Theresa’s green, but they’re all really pretty. Tough choice!

March 13th, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

I know Kate they are really dark. I like the tone of a lot of the colors but they are just too dark of shade for my room. hmmm….

7. Melkorka Kjarval
    March 13th, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

What a romantic photo from such a rainy day! so far I’m a fan of light blue and Teresa’s green. I am excited to see the paints after they dry/in different lights!

8. Jane
    March 13th, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Raining here in Toronto, too. I’ve had 3 samples of Benjamin Moore paint in various shade of gray on my walls for about three weeks. It takes a while for them to completely dry and of course the colour looks different in the morn. vs. noon and so forth.

Sample painting on the wall is the only was to go. I’ve learned the hard way. The sample chips can be quite different from what you paint.

9. chelsea
    March 13th, 2010 @ 10:24 pm

This is such a great way to test and I just love the way they look in their little swatches on the wall!! My fave is green ground.. but I am sure all looks different in a photo!! Good luck!!

10. Marybeth
    March 13th, 2010 @ 10:41 pm

Katy,
    My gut tells me the color samples might be too dark for the space. Love the colors and have used them in a different houses.(for myself and for clients) Put up some warm whites too and see what it feels like.

Many of the low ceiling houses in my in-laws village in England are painted with warm whites and it make the space feel less tight.

Ben Moore HC colors? Do any appeal?

Tough decision.
    mb

11. Taryn
    March 13th, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

I like Teresa’s Green as well, but it’s too hard to tell without seeing it in person. Looks good in the photo though!

12. Jill
    March 14th, 2010 @ 12:09 am

I like the Cooking Apple Green the best, I think. That or the Verte de Terre. It’s funny, when I read your previous post I was going to e-mail you a photo of my kitchen, which is Cooking Apple. But I couldn’t get a good photo that even came close to how it looks in real life. Cooking Apple looks brighter and more Granny Smith in my kitchen, more like how Green Ground looks in your den. Paint is so much fun.

13. Holly Goes Lightly
    March 14th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

Love the Farrow & Ball Green Ground, and also Georgian Green from Benjamin Moore. We used it in the Woodstock, VT dining room for everything (walls, moulding & muntins) and it looks great even during dark Winter afternoons. Much easier to come by — you might want to check it out.

March 14th, 2010 @ 8:58 am

I’ll be trying out some benjamin colors too. I just need to drive to paint store. I love a few of the F&B colors but I probably have to tweak them and add white.

Expect a lot more posts on paint choice. I’m not a pick a color and go with it kinda girl.

15. Karen Cheung
    March 14th, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

Out of all of those, I’ve used vert de terre on walls before and it is beautiful – even on a modern wall it is lovely and doesn’t come out too dark once it has dried. We have F&B blue gray on our kitchen wall and the wall I am facing right now in my studio – it is gorgeous and changes colour depending on the weather!

Funnily enough F&B ‘Bone’ is a subtle, pale grey-green when you put it on your walls – we have used it for some of the trims in our house.

16. Halcyon House
    March 14th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Katy,
    Generally speaking I’d have to go with the 2nd from the left or the 2nd from the right (my preference of the 2). Again, generally speaking in regards to paint, I either go super light or very dark with a color. Dark in small cozy spaces or spaces that you pass thru…Light everywhere else. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and can’t wait to see the results.
    Best,
    Ashleigh

17. Lillian
    March 14th, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

I really like Teresa´s Green. I think it would look great in this room, and not too dark at all (rainy and cold here in Vienna, Europe as well..)!

18. Amy
    March 14th, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

the cooking apple green so far seems to look the most green without being too dark. the lighter ones look greyish to me but it may also just be the light.

i’ll be choosing wall colors soon too and i think its especially hard when you’re a painter and love color like we do!

good luck

March 14th, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

Totally Amy. I would almost rather mix my own paint colors. It’s really frustrating because I have a color in my mind and know I could mix a few together to get it.

I’ll admit I’m color obsessive.

20. abby Belknap
    March 14th, 2010 @ 11:46 pm

Remember that you are going to have tones of white trim to off set the tones you put on the wall, which will reflect and brighten your colours, the colours of the curtains will also impact the coloue aswill green folliage out side the windows

21. Muffy.
    March 14th, 2010 @ 11:59 pm

Vert de Terre is an amazing color. My mom has it in her garden room and I used it in a tiny 9×9 nursery. The vibe changes throughout the day. I can’t wait to see what you choose!

22. Ben
    March 15th, 2010 @ 1:11 am

I’d go with one of the lighter greens (even a lighter one than the ones you’ve painted so far), maybe the verte de terre. Looks calming.

23. Ben
    March 15th, 2010 @ 1:12 am

Actually, I mean the Green Ground. So many names!

24. jen jafarzadeh
    March 15th, 2010 @ 8:23 am

the photograph of all your paint samples on the wall is so pretty, Katy! the swatches of color looks so cool on your raw walls. so fun to follow you in the color process — it always amazes me how different the colors look once you paint them on your walls.

25. Wendy
    March 15th, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

I love the “green ground” color! It would be beautiful with cream wainscoting. Also keep in mind the floor color. Are you going to stain the floor darker or go natural and reddish brown?

26. mopar
    March 15th, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

Looks fab. The right color will depend on the color of the floor and trim. How about putting up some sample trim colors?

That said, you could maybe paint the walls Green Ground and the trim Cooking Apple Green. It works on my monitor, at least. Don’t know about in real life.

March 15th, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

I have to wait for the sun to return and get some trim color up. I have to finish sanding the wood paneling before I paint a few samples.

28. elizabeth
    March 15th, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Teresas Green hands down!

29. Christina Diaz
    March 15th, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

I love the Verte De Terre but am I the only one that loves the saxon green too? I know it is dark but with good lighting, and great art I think it would be elegant and cozy.

March 15th, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Saxon Green is beautiful too Christina. When I first moved into the house I wanted to paint the walls a dark green. Yes, more paint colors on the wall but about year earlier.

31. Gena
    March 15th, 2010 @ 10:59 pm

Amazing how different Farrow & Ball colors look in different spaces. You’re not that much further north than me (I’m slightly west of Boston), and the colors look so different! I have Cooking Apple Green, Vert de Terre, and Green Ground (among other colors) up as samples in my kitchen. Love them all, but my favorite is Green Ground. Both Cooking Apple Green and Green Ground are such cheery colors. I think of Vert de Terre as leaning a bit more formal.

32. mopar
    March 15th, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

I wish the Farrow & Ball colors came in shades of each other so, for example, you could pick Cooking Apple Green and get two shades lighter for use together on trim and woodwork. I wonder why they don’t do that. I guess it’s not historically accurate. But so convenient. Paint Library does have lots of paints like that — they’ll have five shades of the same stone or green color, for example. Haven’t tried them yet though.

33. Kim
    March 16th, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Regarding mopar’s comment, I noticed the Pratt & Lambert Williamsburg Collection offers different shades (usually three) of the same color. I thought that was a really good idea, too. They have some nice historic colors. I’m waiting for my color deck to come in the mail.

34. laura
    March 16th, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

Definitely, second one from the left.

35. Anonymous
    March 16th, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Green Ground! They are all gorgeous.

36. Lucy
    March 23rd, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

Green ground from what we can see. I don’t know the room obviously but it looks like the others would be too dark. I like Green ground but if the others are too dark maybe you’d want to compare it to some other lighter ones. I understand about the colour in your head – it is amazing how many test charts or patches of one colour you can look at, and yet none of them are the one in your head!

37. Jen Fagan
    March 17th, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Any updates on your green room? I am looking at doing our living room a green with cream exposed ceiling beams! I need help! Thanks!

38. Jenny
    April 6th, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Have you seen the new historic paint collection, Emente from HistoColour? Definately worth a look!