Cable Knit Hat

Posted on | March 15, 2010 | 12 Comments

I’m so proud of my new cable hat. I keep showing it off to Greg, “Touch it, isn’t so soft and amazing?” Conquering cables is a lot like mastering brioche. Once you get the hang of the process, it’s easy. When I first started knitting the cable hat I was really frustrated and had to go to my yarn shop multiple times for help. I kept loosing count or making knits into purls or vice versa.

I have my eye on trying a larger cable knit hat next. The cables are much larger and only have 4 or 5 twists in the whole hat. Above and below my hat and garter stitch scarf I made for my sister out of beautiful Baby Alpaca from Cascade Yarns.

p.s I know I look goofy and depressed in my hat photo but it hasn’t stopped raining here for three days.

diy: Cable Knit Pot Holders
Working On Cable Knit Hat
My First Hat

Comments

12 Responses to “Cable Knit Hat”

1. Delaney Gates
    March 15th, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Oh my goodness, you did an AMAZING job on that! I’ve always wanted to learn how to knit cables. So far, I haven’t even attempted them!

2. ECA
    March 15th, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Can you post the pattern for this hat? Very cute!

3. jen jafarzadeh
    March 15th, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

so impressed! your cable hat is so cute!

4. Chaucee
    March 15th, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

I’ve been wanting to try a cable knit hat for quite some time now! It sounds so hard. I’m afraid I’d give up mid-process. Yours looks gorgeous though! Great job : ) I’m glad you’ve mastered the art.

5. chelsea
    March 15th, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

My dear, you are my hero. First brioche now cable hats and cable pot holders! When can we buy Katy Elliott Knitwear???!!

March 15th, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

My mother and a couple other people would love for that day to happen. I just like doing too many things. Can’t seem to focus on just one.

Thanks Chelsea.

7. Brittany Noel
    March 15th, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

I love cabled hats so much. This gray is perfect too, Katie. Kudos to you :)

8. Katie
    March 15th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Katy – I’ve been knitting for years and I have yet to make a cable hat. I do have a half finished cable sweater though. Actually it is closer to 95% finished. All the pieces are done, I just need to put it together. I should do that…

9. jill
    March 16th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

beautiful, katy! such nice work :)

10. Jadyn
    March 16th, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

Your blog is so lovely and inspiring. And I love the hat! Great job! Would you be able to post the pattern?

11. Meredith from Penelope Loves Lists
    March 21st, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

I love love love this cabled hat. I just finished the Irish Hiking Scarf and have been looking for another cable project. I think a matching hat would be perfect.

12. Jillie
    April 1st, 2010 @ 9:04 am

I just lub* it!! as my 3yr old gd would say. Where can one find the pattern? *love