Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

Posted on | February 22, 2010 | 13 Comments

bathroom at soho grand Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

I notice the funniest things since I started renovating a house. In our bathroom at the Soho Grand Hotel I was fascinated by the subway tile design. If you look closely the second tile from the top is not a standard rectangle. It’s square, interesting. I couldn’t find a reason why they did this other then to break up the line.

The hotel bathroom was simple but classic. A pretty pedestal sink with a gooseneck faucet and a stone hex floor. The floor tiles were cream, taupey brown/gray, and gray grout. Kinda funky and different. Look closely at the floor photo below. It may look out of focus on the edges but actually the floor really looked like this. It would change color as you looked at it in the distance. The sketch wallpaper keeps the space from feeling too traditional and adds a modern twist.

Below the view from our hotel room. How great is New York?

Soho Grand Hotel
310 West Broadway
New York, New York
sohogrand.com

update: The wallpaper featured in the bathroom is by New Yorker cartoonist Saul Steinberg. The paper can be purchased through Schumacher.

Picture 8 Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

4378816857 d594d85025 Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

4379572186 d5890c456e Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

view from soho grand Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

Wallpaper in Bathrooms
Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel
Traditional with Marble Accents

pixel Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel

Comments

13 Responses to “Subway Tiles @ Soho Grand Hotel”

1. jen jafarzadeh
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

I love when hotels have cute bathrooms! That Nama Rococo wallpaper looks fantastic. So fun and whimsical. Hope you had a great time in NYC, Katy!

2. mopar
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Wow, this is really fabulous.

And Katy, you are traveling in style.

3. Agnes Devereux
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

they like playing with their guests heads at the soho grand – the wall tile gives the illusion of depth and the floor is really interesting. lucky girl – looks like a fabulous place to stay.

4. Laura Fenton
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

That gray and white octagon tile on the floor is damn near perfect–love!

5. Sara
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

I love Nama Rococo wallpaper.. I did not see this pattern on the site.. the owner/designer, Karen Combs, likes it too, but does not know the designer or manufacturer..
    I love the unique line of tile in this bath too.

February 22nd, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

Hmm I wonder who makes it then? Jen had a sample from a photo shoot and thought it was Nama Rococo. We’ll have to keep searching.

February 22nd, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Found! The correct wallpaper.

8. Patsy
    February 23rd, 2010 @ 10:29 am

It appears that maybe the single square row of tile is needed to hang the towel rack and glass shelf.

It’s funny, to me, that bathroom looks dated, since that’s what NYC apartment bathrooms looked like in the olden days and I’m old ;-)

9. Steve
    February 23rd, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

Nice to see that the hotel stayed true to a bathroom decor style prevalent in the NYC area. Looks like a nice place to stay!

10. Marybeth
    February 23rd, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

Honey. Really. You travel in style. You report in style too. Thank you.
    Don’t you just love going to that town?
    mb

February 23rd, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Ha!
    The Soho Grand was having a winter special. Greg and I haven’t taken a real vacation since buying the house so I am trying to book a few short weekend vacations away every few months.

12. Jennifer
    February 24th, 2010 @ 11:08 am

very acute eye! love the subtle, interesting details.

13. Jane
    February 27th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

I am leaving for NYC on Wednesday and your posts arrived just in time.

I am going over all your hints before I leave.

Thanks for the great post.

Jane