Smelt Fishing In Maine

Posted on | February 8, 2010 | 14 Comments

Photos above by Gregg Elliott

On Saturday night Greg and I headed north past Portland, following route 1, and then turning down a long dirt road into pitch darkness. It was a balmy 12 degrees out, we were bundled up, our truck packed with supplies, ready to experience a real Maine tradition, smelt fishing in February. Smelts are found in the salt waters of Maine as they run upstream to spawn. The most common way of fishing for them in Maine is by setting up a shanty on the ice covered tidal estuaries in the winter months. River Bend Smelt Camps in Bowdoinham rents shanties fully equipped with a stove, wood, electricity, lines, and bait. We called ahead and booked a shanty on the outgoing tide; 8pm to 2 am with my brother Gregg and fishing guide Greg. Yes, it was me and three Greggs. Strange I know.

We headed out across the ice seeing about a dozen shanties in the distant. I started to breath heavy as I realized I couldn’t see where the ice began or ended. “We’re on the ocean, right?” I yelled ahead. How could this be safe? Does salt water even freeze? I calmed myself by looking above at the star filled sky. “I won’t die”, I kept telling myself. The boys were already about 20 yards in front of me completely unfazed.

Inside the shanty was a wood floor, wood burning stove, a cord of wood, and several wooden chairs. Along the outer walls of the shanty are long gaps exposing the water below the ice. Above hang a series of lines with hooks mounted on a pole. The pole allowed us to jiggle all the lines at once enticing the fish below. We brought along a small rod to get the full experience.

We caught about 8 fish; 5 smelts and a few perch. We battered them in cajun seasonings and then fried them in a cast iron skillet on a camp stove inside the shanty. The boys cut off the heads and tails and swallow them whole. I was a little pickier. I used the fresh lemon and a fork.

As the night went on the shanties around us got louder. Groups of men were singing and telling stories were the “f-word” was the subject and adjective. The ice around us cracked as the tide went out. After a few beers, my fears were replace by, “did you hear that one?”

Looking for a fishing guide in Maine? Greg Bostater came with us on our trip. Great guy. Check out his site maineriverguides.com.

River Bend Smelt Camps
24 Wallentine Rd (off Route 24)
Bowdoinham, Maine
(207) 666-5945

Real Maine Whoopie Pies
Maine Road Trip

Comments

14 Responses to “Smelt Fishing In Maine”

1. chelsea
    February 8th, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

this looks like an adventure.. cool pics!!

2. Liz
    February 8th, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

I want to do this!!

3. Don
    February 8th, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

Whoever smelt it, dealt it!
    Nice pics.

4. G
    February 9th, 2010 @ 12:48 am

that’s a good one Don. This was the most chillax trip ever. Enjoyed every minute. It was only midnight when we called it quits, I was ready to go to 2am.

5. FreeMicrosoftpointsGuy
    February 9th, 2010 @ 5:40 am

So this looks pretty cool I like it. Nothing like dorritos and some fish sticks! Why are the fish so small?

6. Kathy G
    February 9th, 2010 @ 10:16 am

You are a brave girl shacked up on the ice with 3 Gregs! Ice fishing is a big thing where I come from but it always seemed frightening to me…a house on the ice with a fire inside and a hole chopped through…YIKES! On the other hand there is nothing like fresh caught smelt.

7. mopar
    February 9th, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I think he owes you a lot of shopping trips now.

February 9th, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

Mopar,
    It was my idea to go. I’m a tough New England girl.

9. Patsy
    February 10th, 2010 @ 11:29 am

I adore smelt, but have only ever had them deep fried.

We may have to try this, although I may be too chicken to go in the darky night……..

10. Kate
    February 10th, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

I bet those were the most delicious fish you’d ever tasted after the mortal danger that went into catching them :) Great post!

11. Mina
    February 10th, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Beautiful photos, brother Greg did some pretty work. I really enjoy the header photos with the shack gleaming bright out of the inky black darkness, and the saturated tones inside the shanty. Way to overcome your anxiety and push through with your plan Katy, thanks for sharing your ice fishing experience with us.

12. mopar
    February 11th, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

Wow, actually this looks really interesting. I read more carefully — didn’t realize there are “camps” where you rent a shack.

I also enjoy broiled smelts — in my local Japanese restaurant in the East Village. The heads are the best part.

13. Karen
    February 14th, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

Interesting – but I’ve never been sure what’s fun about it!

14. janice
    February 14th, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Seriously, was it extremely scary? Otherwise, I want to try it, at least once. We live in Portland! What am I waiting for?