Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

Posted on | February 1, 2010 | 19 Comments

4322032093 9ae04e5ebd o Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

We spent the a very cold January weekend in central Vermont. With the temperatures hovering around 10 degrees; snowshoeing was out of the question. Taking off my gloves to snap a photo was brutal enough. We spent the afternoon indoors visiting Simon Pearce’s workshop and restaurant in Quechee, Vermont.

Simon Pearce first opened his glassblowing workshop in Ireland. In the 1980’s Pearce moved his operation to a historic woolen mill in Quechee, Vermont. The Ottauquechee river roars just below, providing hydroelectric power for the glass furnaces along with electricity for the entire facility. Visitors can browse the retail store, watch potters and glassblowers at work and enjoy lunch or dinner in the restaurant overlooking the river.

Greg and I found the glassblowing process fascinating. Each piece is gorgeous and completely handmade. I made a mental note of all my favorite glasses, bowls, and pitchers to purchase once our renovation is done. Below photos of glassblowers and potters at work. How cute are the wool plaid curtains I spotted in the ladies bathroom? At the very bottom is the hydroelectric generator used to power the facility. Find out more at simonpearce.com.

4322684180 c84afbf4a8 Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4322654800 afe61b3c8f Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4321950295 92823f1cbb Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4321921775 7361f582c2 Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4322000173 73f85b034d Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4321922431 2cbdd8d8cc Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4321923367 f32f2eba4a Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4321922207 bfeb829f43 Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

4322781694 b41d39d283 Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

Swans Island Blankets Studio: Northport, Maine
Windsor Chairmakers Studio: Linconville, Maine

pixel Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

Comments

19 Responses to “Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont”

1. mopar
    February 1st, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

I love your photos. This reminds me a bit of Lowell, Mass. — another town with water-powered fabric mills. I think I might copy those curtains for our kitchen — once we have walls and floors.

February 1st, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

The curtains are so cute. Navy and cream checked wool. The radiators were painted red which made the space extra awesome.

3. Tricia
    February 1st, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Love the Simon Pearce shop. Don’t know if you’re aware that the Simon and Pia Pearce’s son, Kevin, was seriously injured at the end of December in Utah, as he headed to the Olympics and his bid to overtake Sean White as top snowboarder in the country. Here’s a link to the latest news on his recovery: http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/injured-snowboarder-to-be-moved-from/855259 The Pearce’s flew to Utah immediately after the accident and have not left their son’s side. He could use all our prayers.

February 1st, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

Despite the cold, it sounds like a lovely weekend! Of course, Ireland has a proud glass-blowing tradition. I adore the simplicity of the pieces you’ve shown here. And those curtains are perfection!!

5. Emily
    February 1st, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

I’ve never been to the Simon Pearce in Vermont, but the store/factory/restaurant in West Chester, Pennsylvania is gorgeously similar, with great views of the Brandywine and yummy food.

6. Nancy Gail Ring
    February 1st, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

I’ve been to the Pearce store on vacays to Vermont, and own a beautiful glass vase from there. It’s one of my favorite stops when I’m in that area. Your photos of it are stunning as usual. I wish you would tell what camera you have and give some tips! Seeing the Pearce again is fun. Thanks for posting it.

February 1st, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Mopar, if you want to make similar curtains. I would suggest Mood for fabric. I believe your in New York so it’s just quick ride uptown. They have a ton of wool in the back on the left.

8. Jane
    February 1st, 2010 @ 11:48 pm

You are a wonderful photographer! These pics are stunning. Just wanted to tell you your site is always inspiration and lovely.

9. Jane
    February 1st, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

Meant to say your site is always an inspiration!!

10. jen jafarzadeh
    February 2nd, 2010 @ 8:08 am

checking out the simon pearce factory and the glass-blowing in person has been on my to-do list for years. so fun to see your photos, katy! was the food fantastic at the restaurant? looks like you and greg had a great weekend.

11. Anna
    February 2nd, 2010 @ 9:49 am

What an amazing setting, and great photographs! The glassware looks lovely. My husband and I have managed to collect a good bit of Heath, but we haven’t done anything special for glassware – – just some of the Duraflex Picardie glasses for now. This gives me ideas…

12. Livi
    February 2nd, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

your photos are looovely.

13. Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

That glassware is gorgeous!!

14. Sarah
    February 11th, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

My husband works at Simon Pearce and has for the past 13 years. He transferred from Vermont to the retail and production facility in Maryland. We love the restuarants. Not only do they use all their glassware for their tablesettings, they offer great food. You should try the Vermont Cheddar Cheese Soup! Your pictures are great! For Simon Pearce lovers, go to simonpearce.com, you can purchase their products online.

15. David Sandberg
    February 13th, 2010 @ 2:40 am

I became interested in the glassware when I saw the movie “Something’s Gotta Give” with Jack N. and Diane Keaton. She had the Pearce, Hartland goblets in her table setting. I have admired them for years before I Googled them and found they were the work of Simon Pearce. My wife knew that I loved them and found a similar goblet at Pier One. Of course they were one tenth the cost but I still like them even tho they are not the real deal.

16. carrie meadows
    February 14th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

I love Simon Pearce and am lucky enough to have a couple of pieces. Beautiful, timeless.

February 22nd, 2010 @ 11:37 pm
  18. Donna Brown
    October 9th, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Hi, My husband, Daughter and Son-inlaw had a wonderful visit to your shops in Quechee last month. I lover the spinach salad at our lunch. I had hoped to find it on the web site but no luck. the dressing was sooo good. It had cranberry chutney in it and the salad topped with spiced walnuts. Any chance you’ll share it ?

19. Amy
    February 17th, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

…and your favorite pieces are???