Architecture In Woodstock, VT

Posted on | February 3, 2010 | 11 Comments

4328165828 db518bed22 Architecture In Woodstock, VT

Woodstock is a small rural village located in central Vermont. As you drive into town the Ottauquechee river meanders alongside as large rolling fields dotted with spectacular farm houses reach out into the distance. My first thought as I awe struck by the landscape, “Beautiful.” My second, “Who the heck lives here?” The views are so stunning, the houses so well kept and elaborate, it almost feels like a storybook version of New England.

First settled in 1768 the historic downtown boasts stately homes around a village green. Ornate detailing above the windows and doors caught my eye. The homes looked Georgian (1690-1830) and Federal (1780-1840) but different then anything I have ever seen in New England. The ornamentation above the windows and columns were intricate and elaborate. I snapped a few photos of my favorites below. Sorry if the photos are little shaky it was 6 degrees out at 9 in the morning. My right hand felt like it was going to fall off as I ran up and down the street snapping photos.

p.s. could someone buy me this house in Woodstock?

4327048632 7c997f79d8 Architecture In Woodstock, VT

4327048238 4d643391ef Architecture In Woodstock, VT

4326312271 d88f564204 Architecture In Woodstock, VT

4326313473 b20192da81 Architecture In Woodstock, VT

4327046378 c2d8401df4 Architecture In Woodstock, VT

4327434199 e2f36e578b Architecture In Woodstock, VT

F.H. Gillingham & Sons General Store: Woodstock, Vermont
Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

pixel Architecture In Woodstock, VT

Comments

11 Responses to “Architecture In Woodstock, VT”

1. StacyStyle
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

Thanks for the yummy tour. I haven’t been to Woodstock in about five years, but I remember it being as picturesque as your photos. Trying to get there next week to do some scouting work. Thanks for the prod!

2. erin @ elements of style
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

My family has a house near Woodstock and we go up all the time. I love strolling around and admiring the homes! :)

3. jane
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

these pictures make me miss my new england boarding school years – there is something so charming, yet historical and stately about the these homes that is hard to find elsewhere in the country… and the snow accentuates their beauty*

4. mopar
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Could those wedding cake decorations have been added later in the Victorian period? Or is that too crazy a thought?

February 3rd, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

Mopar,
    I have a feeling the decorations were added later too. I’m not as familiar with Federal style. Maybe it ornamentation that was popular from a particular craftsmen in the area?

6. erin
    February 3rd, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

my kind of photos, exactly!

7. merry
    February 4th, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

My family (from the UK) and I would pass through Woodstock on our way skiing each year and it was always impossible not to stop! So pretty and calming. I remember having pancakes in a small cafe and a lovely secondhand/antique textile shop (I think?) Thanks for the trip down memory lane……….

February 4th, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Stunning architecture and your photos are stunning (not in the least bit shaky!)

9. sheena
    February 4th, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

just came across your blog…..so glad I did:)

10. Holly Goes Lightly
    February 7th, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

Katy-
    Our place is in South Woodstock (I’ve got a little pic on my blog) a few doors down from the South Woodstock General Store and I can’t tell you how much I love being up there. I was meant to be back up next weekend, but my dog had an incident with a car so I’m postponing, and your pictures of Woodstock, Farmer’s Diner and the Antique Mall are making me homesick!
    Thanks for the pics!
    -Holly

11. Ali
    February 8th, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Katy,

You make me want to go to Vermont! Looks like you are having a ball (albeit the freezing part.)