Video: Paint In Den Stripped

Posted on | January 25, 2010 | 15 Comments

I made my first youtube video over the weekend. I have a lot to learn about shooting, editing, music, intro etc. I can’t wait to share more of the house. It’s so hard to get a real feel for the space with just photos. Click on the video above to learn more about our den.

I’m still unsure what color to paint the molding. Thanks to everyone who left a comment on my post. I read every single one of them. I am leaning towards painting the molding off white. The room is really dark. I’m afraid adding a dark color to the molding will only make the room feel smaller.

Over the weekend we stripped more paint; I painstakingly cleaned each individual fluted molding, all 257 of them. I want the lines to be as crisp as possible. Hopefully, when the paint is applied we won’t loose any of the detail. Greg finished removing the ceiling from the little room off the den. The space is a total mess. Ug, another room to clean. Photos below.

Side Room Ceiling Removed & Mess

Side Room Ceiling Removed

What Color Do I Paint The Molding?
House Renovation: Sanding Wood
House Renovation: Fixing Doorway & Ceiling Conversation

Comments

15 Responses to “Video: Paint In Den Stripped”

1. EBA
    January 25th, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

I haven’t heard you mention lead, but did notice that you and your SO were sick for a week. Are you concerned about lead intoxication? Let us know how you are dealing with that aspect of things—you do get a $1500 tax deduction from the state for deleading. I am curious because I am about to tackle a big deleading/encapsulation project in MA.
    Thanks!
    Erin

January 25th, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Hi Erin,

Don’t worry we just had winter colds. To remove the paint we used a Silent Paint Remover. http://www.silentpaintremover.com/. Endorsed by a number of renovators.

“Low operating temperature prevents hazardous plumbic gases that might otherwise be released using other heat or hazardous chemical methods. You are left with a dry and easily disposable substance. ”

We still use masks, dispose of our clothes and take showers every time we work on the room.

I believe in order to qualify for the credit you have to have a certified specialist remove the paint. When we asked around the price for a home could be about $20,000.

This is the only room we are removing paint for the sake of preserving the molding. Other rooms the walls will be removed and replaced.

3. Lauren
    January 25th, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

A true labor of love! I didn’t comment on the previous post on painted molding however I’ll say now, I think the decision to stay light is a good one. You can always go darker but I’d imagine it’s a little trickier to cover up dark molding. Good luck, been following your blog now for a couple of months and looking forward to the final product.

4. evencleveland
    January 25th, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

I loved getting to see the video!

It’s really coming along – you guys have been working hard!

5. Sally Mae
    January 25th, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

Your home is lovely!!! You are inspiring me to do some trim work myself. Thanks for the tip on the stain stripper.

6. Jessica
    January 25th, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

I think like Lauren. The decision to take the light colour is better than the green one.

Good luck for the next room. We removed our ceiling in the staircase and it was horrible. I hope you had less mud than we. We looked like chimney sweeper after we finished our work…

7. Anonymous
    January 25th, 2010 @ 8:55 pm

I wonder if you could do a pickling stain if you want it to be white/light? That way you wouldn’t lose any of the detail.

8. Emily
    January 25th, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

It looks great!!! If you go with off white for the molding, I would suggest painting the baseboards a very dark brown – this was often done in 18th century homes to mask dirt, and is a nice historic detail.

9. Erica
    January 26th, 2010 @ 8:25 am

Great video. Have you guys been to Historic Deerfield (in Deerfield, MA)? If you can manage to go on a weekday, they’re not very busy and many of the docents have a lot of information (and you can ask them questions), plus they have a great selection of books on colonial decor you can browse through, and of course, there are the houses themselves. You might get some ideas for your own place, but it’s definitely worth a visit to see the many different ways colonial houses were restored, remodeled, and preserved.

10. rue
    January 26th, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Hi Katy :)

I was looking up something for our old house and came across you blog. I just wanted to say that you’ve done an amazing job. I’ve been here all morning and now I’ve forgotten why I got on the computer in the first place LOL

Anyway, I think light is the way to go too, so I’m glad that’s where you’re going with it. Oh and thanks for the tomato advice on one of your old posts :)

rue

11. Kathy G
    January 26th, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Great job on the video. I love being able to see the room in a panoramic way. I am looking forward to the transformation in your new video format.

12. Anonymous
    January 27th, 2010 @ 6:06 am

Hi!
    your home is a jewel! I found it fantastic that you work so hard to preserve the authenticity of it.
    I have seen the blue stairs in your video, are you sure that the green in the den will match?

If I would live in your home, I would paint everything (molding and walls) white, but I’m european, so…

January 27th, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

The stairs that are blue are what was left after I ripped up cat stained carpet. They will get redone. They are disgusting and dirty.

The stairs lead upstairs to our third floor and master suite (eventually).

14. Selena
    January 30th, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

I have to say I love reading your notes about your house and ideas. My mom and I have both been following your page.

15. Lolita Blahnik
    January 31st, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

I love, love, love your house! a million of posibilities for someone who wants to work hard in it!
    You are doing a great job.