Double Rose Peony Poppy Seeds

Posted on | January 28, 2010 | 15 Comments

Last winter, I planted about 12 different heirloom tomato seeds. The process was fun but I realized my side garden doesn’t have enough sunlight for a large vegetable garden. The front has full sun but the back is filtered. How about these gorgeous Double Rose Peony Poppies? I love them. What plants and seeds are you eyeing?

p.s. I ordered the peony seeds from here: rareseeds.com.

Sowing Tomato Seeds
We Have Tomatoes in Late September
Tomatoes In Side Garden

Comments

15 Responses to “Double Rose Peony Poppy Seeds”

1. Jane
    January 28th, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

They’re gorgeous

2. jill
    January 28th, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

oh, man those are pretty! i’ve been dreaming of flowers all day today with the grey and the snow. i’m so into pink flowers in my garden, roses and peonies are my favorites. i’m so traditional!

3. Elizabeth
    January 29th, 2010 @ 12:10 am

Those are stunning. The best thing about poppies is that they look amazing before and after they bloom as well. So many other plants look so sickly when not flowering- but these just have beautifully shaped leaves and dramatic stems and buds.

Hope you get some- I’ll look forward to seeing your garden grow this spring and summer!

4. chelsea
    January 29th, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Aaaaaah!! This is one of my all-time favorite flowers. LOVE poppies but double petaled??? Such a dream!

January 29th, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I did order the seeds from here (rec from times)

6. jen jafarzadeh
    January 29th, 2010 @ 12:46 am

peonies have been my favorite for years. so cool you’ll have your very own peony poppy garden! I’m stuck with indoor gardening here, but I do feel good about keeping all three plants alive — miracle.

7. liz
    January 29th, 2010 @ 7:21 am

I love these and I love rareseeds.com the catalog they send out each year is really a work of art. I’m perusing the catalog now as you have inspired me!

8. eileen
    January 29th, 2010 @ 8:58 am

They are beautiful! But, aren’t poppies a full sun plant? If tomatoes didn’t grow well, you might have a problem with poppies too.

January 29th, 2010 @ 10:29 am

They are full sun plants. In the front part of my garden I get full sun. The tomatoes did really well here. The back part is more filtered.

I wouldn’t really say the tomatoes did horribly. They took longer to ripe but the plants themselves grew huge.

It’s more a factor of space. I would rather buy veggies from the farmer’s market and have a lush flower garden instead.

10. mopar
    January 29th, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

Wow, I never saw poppies that look like peonies before. Lovely and unusual.

Maybe you can help me out here. I’m from the West Coast and don’t know anything about East Coast gardening. Does anyone have any suggestions for flowers that grow easily in shade and partial shade? My favorites are dahlias, heirloom climbing roses, catmint, dianthus, and nasturium. I made a list and realized these mostly require full sun.

Will it be all ivy, impatiens, and hostas for me?

January 29th, 2010 @ 7:49 pm
  12. Lindsey
    January 30th, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Oh my god these are SO pretty! Love your blog!

13. Mopar
    January 30th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Thank you so much, Katy, will check them out. :)

14. lush bella
    February 15th, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

oh! i wonder if these are like the poppies we just ordered from select seeds. they’re called ‘pink peony’. we’ve never grown poppies from seed, and were thinking of starting them indoors so we have blooms this year. good luck with your garden!

15. Emily
    July 9th, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

That is crazy! I was just outside taking pictures of these random poppies that sprang up in our former tomato patch this year. They definitely aren’t the ones I planted last year and I had no idea what they were until I saw this post! Exact same plant down to the little purple patches at the back of the flower (which are hard to see in that picture).