Restoring A House In The City

Posted on | December 18, 2009 | 15 Comments

RestoringCoverLOWRES Restoring A House In The City

I received Restoring a House in the City Restoring A House In The City about a month ago. Written by former House & Garden editor Ingrid Abramovitch the book is a collection of twenty-one town houses, brownstones, row houses in small towns and cities in the U.S. and Canada. I’ve spent the last few weeks flipping through the pages envying the amazing transformations. Styles range from more modern renovations to country infusions or my new favorite style term that means country but cooler; Ruralist (coined by House Beautiful) .

The book remarks on a new generation of home owners who love creaky floors and appreciate the significance of preserving historical architecture. I share this sentiment. It’s what drives me to push on with my own renovation. The amazing history and stories that these buildings hold can not be lost.

The glossy pages full of glam interiors will seduce you. The book also offers helpful information on architecture styles, renovations tips, and salvage resources. I really enjoyed the restorations notes and was thankful it wasn’t just all eye candy. Below just a few of my favorite interiors from the book.

Everyone that comes over and flips through the book immediately says, I need to buy this book for my husband/wife for Christmas. It’s a goodie. Buy it now at amazon.com Restoring A House In The City.

132 brookheightsfrenchentrance1 Restoring A House In The City

library style kitchen Restoring A House In The City

kitchen in restoring a house in the city Restoring A House In The City

pixel Restoring A House In The City

Comments

15 Responses to “Restoring A House In The City”

1. chelsea
    December 18th, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

Wow! I want that kitchen.

2. Jenn
    December 18th, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

Those first two photos sold me. I definitely want to check this one out. I love “ruralist” style, but I am constantly trying to figure out how to work it into a city apartment without being hokey — I hope this has some good ideas for me!

3. mopar
    December 18th, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

I love this book. And the author is a sweetie pie. My favorite house is the one owned by ex-Cookie EIC Pilar Guzman, both upstairs and downstairs. It’s one of those Victorians with ornate woodwork in Brooklyn, and it mixes modern with old.

They inserted salvaged subway tile into the back of the closets and cabinets in the rear parlor and made it into a kitchen and it looks really amazing.

4. Jill
    December 18th, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

I have this and I just bought it today as a gift for a friend. I love it. It’s one of those rare design books that has interesting text, and it’s taking me quite a while to get through it because I’m just soaking up every page, slowly–the photos are so beautiful.

5. Sarah
    December 18th, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

This book is on my Christmas wish list! And thanks for the teaser, it makes me want it that much more. Those kitchens look sweet!

6. Jenn
    December 18th, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

This looks like a GREAT book!

7. Tilda B. Hervé
    December 19th, 2009 @ 4:30 pm

congratulations! wow, found you via time online! what a cool blog!

8. abby Belknap
    December 19th, 2009 @ 8:03 pm

I hope you are keeping the lath and plaster, as the wall of real plaster have such a glorious feeling compared to the machine made plasterboard. good luck with the reno. My advice would be to finish one room first and use it as a sanctuary at the end of the day or when you are fed up. The kitchen is great as it tends to be the heart of the house, hope you are not having built in cupboards for the kitchen but real hutches and furniture from any where in New England or NY state, makes for a cosy old kitchen , with out the over reno look
    I love your site and your house it all looks great!!

9. linda@LimeintheCoconut
    December 20th, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

Oooooh. That and a good fire and a hot toddy sounds like a perfect night!

10. nole
    December 21st, 2009 @ 2:32 am

What a gorgeous book! That entryway is so beautiful – and such amazing light!

11. recovergirl
    December 21st, 2009 @ 9:07 am

I found your blog through the TimesOnline list. I added your blog to my Google Reader account. I’ll be a regular reader from now on. I am a neighbor to the North (Portsmouth, NH area). It is with love that I tell you I think you wrote sediment in this post instead of sentiment. The other day I said harbiter of style instead of arbiter of style. Maybe it is the below freezing temperatures.

December 21st, 2009 @ 11:19 am

Ha! Thanks for that typo caught recovergirl. It must be the freezing cold weather!

December 21st, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

Gorgeous images! I love the hallway and the laddered shelf. Swoon!

14. Brita
    January 17th, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

Wow, Im in love. Something about that first photo just had me sold. I will tuck these away as inspiration for my dream house! Someday…

15. VaWatson
    November 12th, 2010 @ 6:25 am

For any of you who own this book…are there additional pictures of that kitchen with the ladder?! It might be worth buying the book to see more of it!