My First Knit Hat

Posted on | December 10, 2009 | 15 Comments

first knitted hat

I just finished my first knit hat in the round! I can’t believe I actually did it. It took forever compared to the scarves I’ve made. Most of the hat had 88 stitches around on 8 point needles. One row took me about 9 minutes. My hands are achy and my fingertips hurt. Maybe I’ll try fingerless gloves next?

p.s. The hat is actually a nice gray not blue like the photo suggests. The sun was setting and I made Greg run outside to take my photo in front of the neighbor’s house. I only got one shot before he screamed it was too cold and ran back inside.

Four scarves for Christmas

Comments

15 Responses to “My First Knit Hat”

1. KnitPurlGurl
    December 10th, 2009 @ 5:47 pm

LOVE it! Congrats!! Try the Alice fingerless mittens – SO easy and a quick knit!

2. Jassy
    December 10th, 2009 @ 6:10 pm

Very festive!!! Great Job!

3. Mom
    December 10th, 2009 @ 6:56 pm

Katy, you did it!! Wow and it it looks great!! I’m proud of you. We need to get you back on the piano to exercise those fingers. Very nice.

4. Christina
    December 10th, 2009 @ 7:30 pm

It’s beautiful! I just learned to knit and am just about to finish up my first scarf. What pattern did you use to make the hat? Can it be found online?

December 10th, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

I took a class. But it’s a basic hat with a rolled brim in all stitch.
    Maybe a real knitter could suggest a good site for a basic pattern?

6. kelly
    December 10th, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

so great! congrats! if anyone tells you that gloves are easy- run and run fast- what a freakin’ nightmare!

your boyfriend is a wuss but keep him around because he does a good job on foundations and framing! (+ he seems nice)

kelly @ milk & honey in rockport

7. Brittany Noel
    December 10th, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

awesome!! fingerless mittens are such a jiffy compared to hats. and it’s really easy to make up your own pattern once you understand the thumbs :)

8. Katie
    December 10th, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

Katy (yes, I read your blog, but don’t comment…I know, shame on me)! Love the hat! Hats are pretty much my favorite thing to make since they are so easy, and always turn out cute.
    My “pattern” is to cast on about 80-90 stitching depending on the size of the head and yarn gauge (my rule of thumb is 85 stitches on size 8 needles). Join the first stitch of the second row with the last of the first by simply knitting them together, knit until the hat measures about 5 inches. Then I decrease by knitting 10 st, knitting 2 together and repeat that for about 5 rows. Then knit 7 stitches, knit 2 tog, repeat about 5 rows. Then knit 4 stitches, knit 2 tog, repeat about 3 rows. Then knit 2 stitches, knit 2 tog until there are only 5-10 stitches left. Close by threading loose end through the remaining stitches and knot. EASY!
    Oh, and at some point you will need to change to double pointed needles (I do it when I have about 40 stitches left).

I just blogged about my recent foray into embroidery – check it out:

9. denise
    December 10th, 2009 @ 8:44 pm

Darling! Bravo!

10. Kerry
    December 11th, 2009 @ 2:34 am

COngrats! It’s beautiful.

11. Shannon at Old World Charm
    December 11th, 2009 @ 6:42 am

That’s wonderful, Katy! Congratulations! If I tried to do something like that, it would turn out looking like a ball of yarn.

Have a great weekend! :-)

Shannon

12. Barbara
    December 11th, 2009 @ 10:48 am

It’s adorable… I want one!
    I love the part about Greg screaming and running back inside. The things we ask our guys to do!

13. Zoe
    December 26th, 2009 @ 10:17 pm

Fun hat. I too recently began knitting (can crochet with my eyes closed) and love the process. Hats are more challenging than scarves but people appreciate them as a gift. Keep on the path.
    Any pictures of NYC from your last trip? That’s where i am writing this from. I live both in the country and in the city so i cant relate to your photos of both places.

14. Jeanne
    December 30th, 2009 @ 12:27 pm

Katy, I just love this hat. You should sell them on etsy; I know I would buy one!

December 30th, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

Thanks for the compliment Jeanne but it took me about 10 hours to make. I’ll stick to gifts for now.