Seed Stitch Scarves

Posted on | November 18, 2009 | 6 Comments

grey seed stitch scarf

Last winter, I made hand-knit scarves for my nieces christmas presents. I’m a total beginner and only know how to knit a basic stitch. I came across these pretty scarves by Jill Bent this morning and was pretty envious. I would love to master the seed stitch. It’s one of my favorites. I think I need to learn “purl” first. Jill also makes lovely grain sack pillows and neckwarmers too!

Update: in December 2011 I finally learned how to make my own seed stitch scarf. See the results and pattern idea here!

cream seed stitch scarf

All Four Scarves Done
Knit & Crocheted Cowls
Handknit Cable Pillows: Make or Buy

Comments

6 Responses to “Seed Stitch Scarves”

1. iris
    November 18th, 2009 @ 2:44 pm

Seed stitch is pretty basic, and purl stitch is pretty simple, too. I’m sure you can handle it!

One of my fav resources for knitting is knittinghelp.com: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch
    They have videos for nearly everything, and it’s free!!

Additionally, have you heard of Ravelry? It’s a great resource for figuring out what to do with the yarn you already have, or just finding new projects, or even like-minded knitting/crocheting individuals.

November 19th, 2009 @ 12:06 am

Oh yes, do go!

Jill’s creations are so lovely (I bought one of her tote bags last summer) and she has the loveliest blog. I’m sure you won’t regret meeting her and seeing her treasures in person.

3. Brittany Noel
    November 19th, 2009 @ 10:37 am

I’ve always loved seed stitch and it is just so beautiful when it’s knit up big like this! Purl stitch is no sweat, and seed stitch is great to knit. Really repetitive, but in a good way :)

4. Patsy
    November 19th, 2009 @ 11:19 am

Marblehead has a wonderful yarn shop – A Yarn Over Marblehead. Jean has gorgeous yarns and also offers classes, although I’m sure you can master seed stitch on your own :-)

5. Elizabeth
    November 19th, 2009 @ 7:16 pm

I wish I wasn’t so chicken and would just learn to knit already. I can do everything else crafty…but no knitting. These scarves are a good incentive.

6. Katy
    November 21st, 2009 @ 7:48 pm

love see stitch! and loving the scarves!! Sounds like a great Christmas project! If I can do seed stitch I promise you can! Seed stitch is the border of my favorite baby blanket I make.