Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

Posted on | November 30, 2009 | 68 Comments

salt dough ornament snowflakes Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

The holidays have officially begun. As we countdown to Christmas I’ll be sharing some of my favorite holiday decorations, crafts, and gift ideas. To start us off Bread Dough Ornaments from Stephanie of even*cleveland. So cute, I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing Stephanie!

p.s. for christmas 2010 Stephanie made these stamped salt dough ornaments. So beautiful and easy!

Salt dough ornaments are an easy holiday craft that everyone can do, and you can make them as simple or as complicated as you like. Properly stored, they last nearly forever.

Step 1. Make the dough
Put 1/2 cup table salt, 1/2 cup water, and 1 cup all-purpose flour into a mixer, and blend together until a sticky dough forms. If you want to experiment with color, you can substitute 1/2 cup of dark tea or coffee for the water. Make sure all of the flour is incorporated. Take the dough out, and knead for 7 to 10 minutes on a well-floured surface. Once it feels smooth and elastic, you are ready to start making ornaments. This amount of dough was enough to make six gnomes, two snowmen and eight snowflakes of different sizes. The recipe can easily be doubled, but be sure to keep any dough you are not using wrapped in plastic wrap, and work quickly – salt dough does not like to sit.

mixing bread dough Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments
making bread dough Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments
rolling dough for ornaments Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

Step 2. Make the ornaments
Salt dough is extremely flexible and forgiving, so you can make ornaments from it in a variety of ways. For this batch, I rolled it out like sugar cookie dough until it was about 1/4″ thick, and then used my favorite cookie cutters – a gnome and some snowflakes – to make a variety of shapes.

cutting out dough Diy: Salt Dough Ornamentsdough shapes Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

For the gnomes, I used food coloring to dye some dough red for hats and jackets – this was EXTREMELY messy, so I would recommend wearing latex gloves if you mix in the color by hand, and rolling out any dyed dough between two sheets of wax paper to protect your counter and rolling pin. I then used a garlic press with some plain dough to make them shaggy beards. To attach extra pieces of dough decoration, rub a little water on the back of the piece you want to stick on, then gently press. You can make them as dimensional as you like.

making gnome ornaments Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments
gnome bread dough ornaments Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

Once the ornaments are formed, poke them with a bamboo skewer to make holes to hang them from. I decided to make my snowflakes into a garland, so they got poked twice, on opposite ends. Once you have the holes in, it is time to pop them in the oven. Essentially, you want to dry out all of the moisture in them, so they go in a 200 degree oven for 4-6 hours – you can even leave them in overnight. Once they are hardened, take them out and let them cool completely.

bread dough ornaments in oven Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

Step 3. Decorate and finish
One of the lovely things about these ornaments is that they can be finished in a variety of ways – they take kindly to paints and pens of all sort. For my gnomes, I drew on a pair of eyes with pencil, and left them as is. For my snowflakes, I decided to draw a variety of little swirling doodles on them with red pen, and then I strung them with butcher’s twine into a garland.

decorating salt dough ornaments Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments
salt dough ornament snowflakes Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

salt dough gardland Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

If you want your ornaments to last years and years, coat them with 3-4 very thin coats of polyurethane gloss varnish. Make sure to cover every exposed surface. This seals them and helps prevent moisture from getting in. Once they are sealed, you can deck them out with glitter if you like. Store them in a cool, dry place and you will enjoy them for years to come.

Happy holidays! Check out Stephanie’s blog for more crafts ideas and inspiration.

Related Post:
Macaroni Snowflakes
Diy: Icicle Chandelier

pixel Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments

Comments

68 Responses to “Diy: Salt Dough Ornaments”

1. Stephanie
    November 30th, 2009 @ 11:14 am

Hey lady! Thanks for letting me do this!

2. Shannon at Old World Charm
    November 30th, 2009 @ 11:31 am

These ornaments are beautiful. They look good enough to eat! :-)

3. chelsea
    November 30th, 2009 @ 11:37 am

I love salt dough ornaments!

November 30th, 2009 @ 12:14 pm

Oh my! I love Stephanie and these are absolutely fantastic. I was going to try her macaroni snowflakes from last year, but maybe I’ll try these now instead!

5. lynne
    November 30th, 2009 @ 12:43 pm

this is so lovely! thanks for posting stephanie and katie.

6. Kerry
    November 30th, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

Lovely!

We made them when we were kids and my mom still has some of them- she pulls them out every year ;) The favorite is my angel; since I had black hair and freckles, I made sure she did, too!

Yours came out beautifully.

7. Hampton Hostess
    November 30th, 2009 @ 2:26 pm

fun! reminds me of childhood ornaments but much prettier!

8. Amanda
    November 30th, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

So. Lovely. I especially lub those gnomes.

9. Alexandra
    November 30th, 2009 @ 9:14 pm

Oh, so lovely!
    I love the paint job too. It’s so meticulous.

10. Audrey
    December 1st, 2009 @ 11:04 am

These are so beautiful and inspiring! The gnomes are very cute.

I am going to try to make these – I hope they come out as beautifully as yours did!

11. Jen
    December 1st, 2009 @ 5:21 pm

Those are so amazing! I have heard you can paint the ornaments with acrylic paint – this might be the way to go if you think dough dyeing is beyond your capabilities (like me).

12. Stephanie
    December 1st, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

Jen –

You can use acrylic paint, gouache, or watercolor, even. I used pen to do the very fine detailing on the snowflake. The thing to keep in mind is that the varnish may cause the non-permanent media to smudge.

13. Christina
    December 1st, 2009 @ 7:25 pm

Through a series of blog posts I found this! Which is awesome I remember doing these with my mom when I was a kid but was never able to find the instructions on how to do them as an adult.

14. Cameron
    December 3rd, 2009 @ 8:26 am

Fantastic!! Saw this on Cafe Cartolina, and so glad I clicked over. Thanks for sharing!

15. Michelle
    December 4th, 2009 @ 9:33 am

Those snowflakes are just stunning. I can’t wait to crack out the red pens and give it a try!

16. LollyChops
    December 4th, 2009 @ 9:49 am

This is such a terrific tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I have not made these since I was a kid! I might have to give this a go this weekend! Yours really came out nice!

17. jill
    December 4th, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

these are beatuiful! i’m remember making these when i was a kid. i’m gonna try this with my kids. thanks for the inspiration!

18. Amber
    December 4th, 2009 @ 1:45 pm

These are lovely! The red pen is fantastic!!

I just wanted to let everyone know, that DOGS LOVE salt dough ornaments. Keep them higher up on the tree if you have curous pets. I had an entire batch eaten a few years ago right off of the table before they’d even been hung.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the beautiful work.

19. Diana
    December 4th, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

Hey – nice to see these come around again, I haven’t done them in a long time! Years ago when I was babysitting we made dough just about every week, and once we decided to color it but didn’t have any food coloring, so we used turmeric. The color was fab, but we and everything we made smelled like a spice market for a long time… maybe it will be fun to try some other spices for coloring… hmmm… like paprika, or sumac, or..?

20. geek+nerd
    December 4th, 2009 @ 6:01 pm

These are the coolest salt dough ornaments I’ve ever seen!

21. Mira Davis
    December 4th, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

This is just wonderful!!! I love it!!!

22. Robin
    December 5th, 2009 @ 1:26 am

Thanks for the great tutorial. The kids and I made some this morning.

December 5th, 2009 @ 11:42 am

Yeah Robin! Stephanie and I would love to see your creations. Send me an e-mail if you would like to share elliott.katy@gmail.com.

24. Melissa
    December 5th, 2009 @ 2:11 pm

These ornaments are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing them!

25. Kylee sallak
    December 7th, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

HELP!
    I made a salt dough wreath with the little girl I nanny for. We baked it & let it cool through & got all sorts of ‘ornaments’ to attach to it like pictures of her & her baby brother & little holiday charms from Michaels & we used a hot glue gun to stick them to the wreath..that was friday now I am back at work monday & they are all falling off. How do I attach the objects so they will stay?? It is so cute & she worked so hard on it, I’d really love any suggestions! Thank you!!

December 7th, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

Hmm .. I would probably recommend re-attaching them with a craft glue rather than a hot glue. Hi Kylee,

Stephanie e-mailed me some tips. Read below.

In my experience, things attached with hot glue (particularly low-temp hot glue) tend to pop off pretty easily, so I avoid using it. I would try sticking them back on using Aleen’s or some other permanent type craft glue that is designed to be used on all surfaces. You have to let it dry flat for an hour or two, but it usually holds pretty tight.

Alternatively, you could try using an industrial glue like Gorilla Glue or E6000.

27. Jayne Mortimer
    December 7th, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

Hi

Just wondered what makes the white background to then draw the red swirls on with. Is it paint or felt of some sort?

Lovely instructions!

28. Stephanie
    December 7th, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

Hi, Jayne!

The white background is the salt dough au natural – it is not painted, just left plain, and I drew the designs directly on it.

Hope that helps!

29. lisa h.
    December 8th, 2009 @ 10:07 am

Found my way here from Whip-Up and the Red Thread.

All your tutorials look fantastic!
    Lisa

30. Marija
    December 8th, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

Wow!! Thanks so much for this wonderful inspiration. As it happens I just got some new snowflake cookie cutters that I can’t wait to try, so this is really perfect!

Thanks for sharing this!!

– Marija

31. Barbara Jean
    December 8th, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

these are wonderful. how fun you can finish them with a pen.

thanks for sharing

barbara jean

32. Sheila
    December 9th, 2009 @ 2:11 am

I LOVE the Garlic Press idea! We did a batch today, so I’m looking for new ideas to use the rest of the dough tomorrow! I used cinammon to make my dough a sandy brown color, and they have come out nicely so far!
    Thanks!

33. Natasha
    December 9th, 2009 @ 5:48 am

beautiful

34. Emily Flippin Maruna
    December 10th, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

If me and my 3 year old can do even half as good as these, I’ll be thrilled! I’ve featured this in a holiday decorations tutorial roundup on my blog, The Handmade Experiment. http://wp.me/pkcUM-pE

Thanks!
    Emily

35. Leigh
    December 11th, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

I made dough ornaments as a teen, learning how to make the dough from a pamphlet provided by Morton Salt! I made wreaths, figures of friends, monogram wreaths, and I painted them with acrylic paint so they were colored and sealed at the same time.

Salt dough is a wonderfully easy inexpensive craft!

36. Eudora
    December 11th, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

Arrgh! I must be really dumb. Only 3 ingredients, I’m sure I put them in properly. I was so excited about making these with my toddler!

I beat the salt, flour, water with a mixer til blended, then took out and kneaded on a floured surface for 7 minutes… 8… 10… 12. OK, had to stop, because the dough had turned from a ball into a collection of more and more separate bits.

What did I do wrong? Help!

December 11th, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

From Stephanie for Eudora,

Hmmm … I have made them several times now, and never had that happen, but it sounds like maybe there wasn’t enough water? Usually the dough become smooth and pliable, like play-dough. I mix the flour and salt, then add the water.

38. Eudora
    December 12th, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response! That sounds like a simple enough fix. I’ll gather up my courage and try it again.

39. Wendy
    December 15th, 2009 @ 11:31 am

I love the use of the red pen. It makes them so modern. It would go great with another decoration I read this morning… http://alittlehut.blogspot.com/2009/12/dollar-store-table-setting.html

40. kiasa
    December 16th, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

I don’t remember how I got to your site, but I loved the idea so much that I made the salt dough ornaments today with my 3 year old daughter. She really got into it and loved it! (Now she can someday say she remembered making them when she was a kid.:)) They are cooking right now while she naps and we’ll paint them tonight or tomorrow. I’m hoping washable tempera paint work, because that’s what we have. If I get photos up on my blog I’ll link back to you. Thanks for inspiring us!

December 17th, 2009 @ 6:05 pm

I’m so glad everyone enjoyed making Stephanie’s lovely ornaments.

42. Neeta
    December 19th, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

I just tried making this dough, and it was a sticky, gooey disaster. I’m not sure what I did wrong. The mixture never seemed to arrive to a dough like consistency. I tried adding more flour,and then tried kneading it, and it all just stuck to my hands. It was a terrible mess. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong or what I might do differently?

December 20th, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

Hi Neeta,

Stephanie sent me this reply to your question.

It sounds to me like it wasn’t kneaded enough. It is a bit sticky and gooey at first, but that’s why you have to keep kneading it, and you have to knead it for a while to get it to the right consistency (like play-doh.) It will stick to your fingers, until the water is absorbed by the salt and flour – the point of the kneading is to work in the moisture so that the dough becomes smooth and pliable.

44. priyadarsini
    December 21st, 2009 @ 6:38 am

can i do flowers, small dolls with this dough,it wont get fungus,how to store this dough plzzzzzzzz tell me and we no need to add any glue.

45. Lisa P.
    December 23rd, 2009 @ 11:26 am

I made these with my kids and even though none of us are particularly crafty, they came out really nice. Even the first batch which was put in a very hot oven because I forgot this was an american recipie (and my oven cooks in celsius). That batch came out brown so we drew on them with our red pens anyway and they look like gingerbread!

46. zoe charmichael
    November 4th, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

Oh how lovely! These are SO similar to the salt dough ornaments my mom & I used to make (with pens!) back in the 60’s ~ she was from Germany & made them with her mother… I have been looking for something NICE to make with salt dough and thanks to you I have found exactly what I wanted… I didn’t want to waste my time on making those “kidsy” run-of-the-mill “Christmas” pieces… Now I am INSPIRED to create!! Thank you so much ~ It may be a bit soon, but HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! Zoe :)

47. Lindsey
    November 27th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I was wondering if you used a template for the gnomes? If so, would you be able to email me the template to print out? I would really like to give them a try.

November 27th, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Stephanie used a gnome cookie cutter to get the shape. I would search online or in local craft stores for something similar.

49. Carrie and the Bear
    November 5th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

I was wondering (and I know I am 2 years late!) if it was just a regular red pen or a gel pen that she used?

November 6th, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Hi Carrie and the Bear,

Stephanie said this:

I used a red permanent ink pen. I would think gel pen would be a disaster – super smudgy. Hope that helps!

51. victoria
    November 10th, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Okay…I am totally hooked on your blog…..and love these holiday ornaments.

Victoria Silva

52. Lianne
    November 14th, 2011 @ 4:14 am

Just to clarify, thats 200F, not 200C in regards to oven temp?

November 14th, 2011 @ 9:16 am

200F oven temp.

54. Rachel
    November 21st, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

I just linked back to this post from my blog. Mine didn’t come out anywhere near as nice as yours. They turned yellow and started to curl up in the oven :( Air drying worked much better, although it took much longer. Thanks for the inspiration!

55. Lynn
    December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:29 am

I am working with a friend’s child to make an ornament for a class project. Will the dough last overnight if we do not use it all. Should it be wrapped in plastic, refrigerated? Thanks

December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Hi Lynn,

Unfortunately, salt-dough can’t be made ahead – it will not keep even if it is refrigerated and wrapped. For best results, you have to make it right before you use it. Luckily, it is a very speedy dough to assemble. Hope that helps, and good luck!

57. Micbelle Rosano
    December 3rd, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Hi, I am making these salt dough ornaments for my daughter’s Playgroup to decorate but when I put them in the oven they keep curling up on the sides and puffing up slightly in the centre. What am I doing wrong?

December 4th, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

From Stephanie for Micbelle:

Hm … I’ve made dozens of batches and never had this problem. It sounds like the temperature in the oven may be too high – I would check it with a thermometer to make sure it is correct. I would also be careful mixing – if the dough is not mixed well, trapped air bubbles would puff up during baking.

59. Carrie and the Bear
    December 8th, 2011 @ 9:49 am

We made ours yesterday. I think I must of baked mine too long as they turned out a more golden brown than the ones pictured :/

60. David
    December 10th, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

We have shared a link on our facbook page to this great blog post about Salt Dough Ornaments for the Holiday. We are always interested in sharing with our followers ways to enjoy a “Slow” Christmas. Thanks for the great post! Merry Christmas

61. Gabli
    December 11th, 2011 @ 12:08 am

Ahh thanks so much- you just have me the perfect project for this weekend! And, the pics help a ton! Now if could only design those snow flakes as nicely as you have doneā€¦.

62. april
    December 11th, 2011 @ 9:17 am

LOVE this! Yours are beautiful. Thanks for the simple step by step for a crafting-newbie! This looks like a lot of fun to do with my boys.

63. Melissa
    December 12th, 2011 @ 1:05 am

My son and I made some decorations today but the dough bubbled and stuck to my cookie sheet. What can I do to keep them from sticking and bubbling up?

64. Casey
    December 15th, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

I have some of these in the oven right now! I am not using them as ornaments though. How do you think the varnish will work over decorative paper?

65. Tash Daly
    December 21st, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

WOW!! These are totally stunning. Thanks so much for sharing how these are made. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. :-)

66. Sarah
    May 24th, 2012 @ 9:07 am

I love this! I used this technique for a feather pendant necklace and it turned out great!

67. Kathy
    May 24th, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Hi there,
    These are beautiful, not quite sure why it showed up in my inbox but I’m glad it did! Absolutely gorgeous!!
    I’m passionate about dough too and must have looked at your site at one time. I’d love to follow –
    Thanks,