Pumpkins Above The Front Door

Posted on | October 1, 2009 | 13 Comments

pumpkins above front door Pumpkins Above The Front Door

I can’t believe that it’s the first of October. Fall outdoor decorations are popping up all over Marblehead. Pumpkins and mums are begin to fill empty flower pots and boxes. My favorite fall decorating idea is placing small pumpkins above the front door. So cute, right? A few of my favorites from my neighborhood above and below.

black house red door pumpkins Pumpkins Above The Front Door
seven pumpkins above door Pumpkins Above The Front Door
pumpkins above door marblehead Pumpkins Above The Front Door
three pumpkins gray house Pumpkins Above The Front Door

Pumpkin Beauty: Cogswell’s Grant House
Recipe: Pumpkin Cookies With Brown Butter Icing
Fall Mantel with Leaf Wreath & Gourds

pixel Pumpkins Above The Front Door

Comments

13 Responses to “Pumpkins Above The Front Door”

1. paige appel
    October 1st, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

love this idea, gotta get my pumpkins soon.

2. stephanie
    October 1st, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

This is so adorable, I can hardly stand it. I need a cider donut to kill the sweetness.

3. virginia @ where you hang your hat
    October 1st, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

What a lovely neighborhood! you are truly lucky.

4. LindsB
    October 1st, 2009 @ 2:54 pm

This is such a classic New England thing, I love the look!

5. Jen
    October 1st, 2009 @ 4:25 pm

How cute! – until one blows off and smashes all over :)

October 1st, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

My boyfriend said they same thing Jen…about the smashing. The same houses had pumpkins last year and I don’t remember any accidents.

If you do attempt this make sure you have a sturdy spot and some protection from the wind.

7. Jennifer
    October 1st, 2009 @ 4:41 pm

this is so great. definitely specific to certain architecture. especially love that black exterior!

8. Erin
    October 1st, 2009 @ 5:53 pm

Can’t wait to get my pumpkins when I get back to the city from this business trip!

9. Kerry
    October 3rd, 2009 @ 4:29 am

I grew up not far from where you are and now live abroad…
    I love visiting your blog! Makes me a bit homesick but love it just the same. I can smell that NE fall and feel the pull of the ocean.

10. Glenn
    August 10th, 2010 @ 11:45 am

Cool pics, we in Danvers place pumpkins on rooftops too!

11. sandra Goroff
    October 30th, 2010 @ 9:50 am

I have taken many photos of pumpkins above the door along the north shore and am wondering if you or any of your readers know this history of this charming tradition. Best.

12. Shelby @ Lady Gouda
    October 14th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Oh wow, I love this. I was in Western Mass this weekend and noticed that a lot of houses had little pumpkins on their doorframes- such a cute idea. I haven’t really ever noticed this before- do you know if this traditional in New England or is it a newer trend?

October 14th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Not a trend. I’ve seen it for years in New England. But maybe we can make trendy with this post, lol!