Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel

Posted on | August 21, 2009 | 12 Comments

boundary bath 2 Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel

I just spotted a few lovely baths that caught my eye over at Remodelista. Greg really wants to use external shower faucets where the pipes come out of the wall like the image above. Our current bathroom have the pipes inside the wall. Our bathroom stall wall is an exterior wall exposed to the elements. Meaning the wall has little shelter from the freezing outside elements. He’s fearing the pipes could freeze if we kept the pipes in the wall. In this worst case scenario we would have to knock out the shower tile to fix any burst pipes if they were to ever freeze. This issue could be solved if we designed the pipes to be inside the shower stall like above. I think the pipes look kinda cool and industrial. Below two more amazing bathrooms from Terence Conran’s new Boundary Hotel in London.

boundary bath 1 Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel
boundary bath 3 Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel

Beadboard in Bathrooms
Shelves Around The Bathroom Door
Annabels House: White, Traditional, and Bathrooms Galore!

pixel Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel

Comments

12 Responses to “Bathroom Inspiration from The Boundary Hotel”

1. Stephanie
    August 21st, 2009 @ 2:54 pm

I bookmarked those bathrooms as soon as I saw them for my someday house – although my favorite was the high drama black and white graphic tile.

I love the exterior pipes, but never thought about them freezing!

2. katy elliott
    August 21st, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

I think I should rewrite the post and make it little more clear.

3. Jessica
    August 21st, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

Definitely something to watch for; in the past when I found myself with a shower fixture on an exterior wall, the advice I was given was, where it can't be avoided, to fur it in, or apply extra insulation to buffer the pipe from the cold.

The uppermost image still has supply water buried in the wall until it gets to the mixing chamber, so leaving the surface where it is may not do what you need it to.

I'm partial to clawfoot tubs where problems like this are handled so easily: http://www.plumbingworld.com/images/sotc-royalaqueduct-shower.jpg but I love where you're going with the shower stall. Especially if you use the little tiles.

4. Emily
    August 21st, 2009 @ 4:14 pm

I like it! And your post made total sense. I love that you blog about practical issues (like freezing pipes) along with design – I feel like sometimes people forget that a bathroom has to be practical in addition to being gorgeous!

5. veronica
    August 21st, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

Beautiful inspiration baths.

Jessica's suggestion to fur out the wall is an excellent one. To take it a step further, if you're not crazy about the idea of furring out the entire depth of the shower, you may also consider furring out only a portion to house the plumbing and add tiled shelves for shampoo, etc. on one or both sides.

6. katy elliott
    August 21st, 2009 @ 4:37 pm

Lots of great ideas ladies! Thanks for your help.

7. Anonymous
    August 21st, 2009 @ 4:42 pm

Just read on Brownstoner you cannot use putty on marble. It will stain it. I don't even know what a plumber would be doing with putty instead of grout, but apparently lots of plumbers use it. Don't let them.

mopar

8. erika @ urban grace
    August 21st, 2009 @ 7:25 pm

i love the exposed pipes… the technical term is 'exposed thermostatic valve'… and they are usually a little more pricey. (worth it in my opinion!) i have a couple cheaper resources if you are interested email me… hate to fill your comment section with a bunch of links. ;) erikampowell(at)gmail(dot)com

9. Earlene
    August 22nd, 2009 @ 7:44 am

I love Japanese bathrooms as well, and am putting in a modified asian/rural look: wood soaking tub, electronic Japanese bidet (washes you AND dries you), custom made double sink console with two tin basins and columnar faucets in my 1832 home. There is to be a separate all glass shower stall with external fixtures (similar to your photo above, but small) and the original wide plank wood floors will get a marine varnish.

10. Paco+Lupe
    August 23rd, 2009 @ 9:38 am

Hard to choose things for your OWN bathroom when you see soooo many nice things in different bathroom. To us, pinning down our own personal style will be the challenge. But WOW to the pictures and inspiration.
    GOOD LUCK & have fun shopping around!

11. Pink Wallaper
    September 1st, 2009 @ 1:56 pm

LOVE that first picture…saving it in hopes of recreating it in a client’s house!

12. Marty
    July 9th, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

The supply pipes are still in the wall. you are only seeing half the pipes. The others are behind the tile and durarock and can still freeze.