Swans Island Blankets Studio In Maine

Posted on | July 30, 2009 | 6 Comments

Swans Island Blankets

Sheep in the rain at Swans Island Blankets

Just up the road from Windsor Chairmakers is Swans Island Blankets in Northport. On a rainy Thursday morning we were warmly greeted to tour their new gallery space and studio. I’ve read about Swans Island blankets a hundred times. When I saw the price tag I would gasp. Truthfully, once you see the quality and care that goes into each and every piece you realize it’s well worth every penny.

Each blanket is handmade by a talented weaver using only natural dyes. My mom and I found the indigo fascinating. “The dye, called Indican, is produced as the leaves of the plant are fermented, exuding a rich paste which turns blue when exposed to air.” Fascinating. The wool is harvested from super soft sheep raised in Maine. A cute photo of a few cuddled up in the rain above.

Swan Island Blankets in Maine

Blankets displayed at Swans Island
Winter Weight Blankets at Swans Island

Natural Grey Throws at Swans Island

Blankets and throws are available in summer and winter weights. The check style available in a winter weight—a weave of two layers of wool for warmth—was my favorite. Natural grey throws are woven from the fleece of Corriedale sheep.

Loom Room at Swan Island

A blanket be woven at Swan Island

Wander back into the studio to see yarn being dyed in large buckets and blankets being woven by hand on large looms. When I first went away to college I studied textile design with a concentration in weaving. I can tell you from experience setting up a loom is a total bitch. I was horrible at it. All the yarns have to be hand pulled one at a time through each tiny needle. So painful and time consuming.

Check out Swans Island’s website for more info on the weaving process and history. The lighting on a rainy day made shooting in the gallery a bit difficult. Take a hop over to their site for detailed photographs of their stunning blankets, swansislandblankets.com.

p.s. martha went to Swans Island Blankets just a few days before me and blogged about her visit today too!

Swans Island Blankets
Rt 1
Northport, Maine

Windsor Chairmakers in Lincolnville, Maine

6 Responses to “Swans Island Blankets Studio In Maine”

1. Law of Attraction
    July 30th, 2009 @ 11:35 am

I know what I will be saving for next.

2. Emerson Merrick
    July 30th, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

We sell those at the antique store I part time at. I nearly choked when i first saw how much they cost, but after studying up on the company, holy smokes. So freaking worth it.

3. Jennifer
    July 30th, 2009 @ 1:34 pm

just lovely.

4. Brittany Noel
    July 30th, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

This place looks amazing! And I love their natural color palette. I didn't realize you went to school for textiles! How exciting to know, since that's what I'm doing :)

5. katy elliott
    July 30th, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

I went to FIT in New York for textiles but left after two years and went and got my BFA in painting instead. Loved textile design hated FIT.

6. Emerson Merrick
    August 4th, 2009 @ 11:58 pm

I went to FIT, too! Also hated it, but didn't have good enough sense to leave!