Picking Strawberries in Maine

Posted on | July 20, 2009 | 12 Comments

Picking Strawberries in Maine

I’m up in Maine this week bumming around and enjoying the hot summer weather. I went to look for some blueberry picking spots this afternoon with no luck. Instead, I found a field in Cape Elizabeth still picking strawberries. With all the rain we’ve had on the east coast the strawberries have been pretty crummy. I picked a few pints. They were ok. Sweet but not the bet I’ve ever had. For dessert tonight I made some strawberry shortcake with whip cream. Tasted like summer. Above and below a few photos of the field and me sporting my vacation look.

Picking Strawberries in Maine

Picking Strawberries in Maine

Picking Strawberries in Maine

Comments

12 Responses to “Picking Strawberries in Maine”

July 20th, 2009 @ 10:34 pm

Yum! I had some local organic strawberries on the weekend – there's nothing quite like them!

2. Chelsea
    July 20th, 2009 @ 10:49 pm

Yum! Fun to see your photo! :)

3. rifferaff
    July 21st, 2009 @ 10:45 am

hello! i don't think we've ever seen your pic on the blog before

4. jen jafarzadeh
    July 21st, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

I had so much fun strawberry picking in Maine when I was up there last week! Also, I'm not sure if you're scoping out shops beyond Route 1, but I posted on a great antique shop in Sabbatus. Have so much fun in Maine! I wish I was still there eating fresh strawberries.

5. Avolli
    July 21st, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

Hey Katy, It looks like you were in my 'neck of the woods' yesterday. That is a lovely strawberry patch and so close to the ocean and great ice cream…Kettle Cove Ice Cream…hope you didn't miss it!

6. Anonymous
    July 21st, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

Aw, love your vacation look!

Mopar

7. katy elliott
    July 21st, 2009 @ 8:37 pm

Thanks guys for the nice comments on the personal photo. I think I look like a total dork. Many more Maine photo to come.

8. Liz
    July 21st, 2009 @ 9:11 pm

I think we went to that same place last summer! Tell Maine I say hi. Have fun!

9. Ruth Olbrych
    July 21st, 2009 @ 9:24 pm

Katy,
    Per your blog see that you had no luck in your scouting out for wild blueberries. I happen to have large supply at my property in New Gloucester (about 35 minutes north of Portland) and happy to share them with anybody that wants to pick.
    Let me know if in the area and want to take me up on the offer.
    Ruth

10. My Dog-Eared Pages
    July 22nd, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

You do NOT look like a dork! I'm heading up to Swan's Island, Maine next Wednesday and can't wait! Have a great week…

11. Anonymous
    July 27th, 2009 @ 3:33 pm

Hope this isn't too wildly off topic, but just FYI that APC madras fabric you love is for sale for $41 for a top at Creatures of Comfort and a lot of other places online. OK, now, back to renovation!

Mopar

12. katy elliott
    July 27th, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

Thanks Mopar but I just bought a ton of fabric that I am working on making tops and dresses out of. Spent $40 and hopefully will have 4 dresses and one top.

See on twitter. http://twitpic.com/b5nln