The High Tide Inn: Camden, Maine

Posted on | July 29, 2009 | 11 Comments

Cottage in Camden, Maine

Cottage in Camden, Maine

My mom a Midwest girl married my New England father in hopes that someday she could stay in a cottage by the sea. Small little cottages dot the rocky coastline all the way up Route One. My dad being a grumpy New Englander referred to them as, Tourist Traps. My dad’s dead now but my mom finally did get her wish forty years later.

We stayed at a cute little place just outside Camden for about $100 a night (we negotiated the price). The cottage looked out to a rolling wildflower field that tumbled it’s way down to the ocean. We took a stroll on the rocky beach before the black flies hit at sunset. Further north in Acadia National Park they have signs saying, “Don’t Take Our Rocks!”. They are pretty seducing rocks. I stuck a few in my pockets to remember our trip.

That night, we could hear the waves crashing on the beach. The sky was so clear you could see the streaks and stars of the Milky Way Galaxy. I woke up around 2 am thinking I could hearing someone having sex in a nearby cottage. Turns out it was only an owl. Not that I’ve ever known a hooter but it was an odd sound to hear.

The High Tide Inn
Rt 1
Camden, Maine
(207) 236-3724

Rocks on The Beach in Maine

Sunset at beach in Camden, Maine

Rocky Beach at Sunset in Camden, Maine

Rocky Beach at Sunset in camden, Maine

Rocky Beach at Sunset in Camden, Maine

Comments

11 Responses to “The High Tide Inn: Camden, Maine”

1. Chelsea
    July 29th, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

Wow… that looks so dreamy. I am in love with that little cottage!

2. Jennifer
    July 29th, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

I think I'd like to be there right now! Gorgeous and so serene.

3. Brittany Noel
    July 29th, 2009 @ 9:25 pm

This looks amazing. Perhaps we should stay in a cottage one night while we're there! It does sounds alluring… Hilarious about the owl!!

4. Anonymous
    July 29th, 2009 @ 10:17 pm

What a lovely post.

Your comment about the owl made me laugh out loud . . . i went camping in NH last weekend and was awakened by what I thought was an owl, but turned out to be a very loud girl having sex! (No joke!)

5. Stephanie
    July 30th, 2009 @ 7:56 am

I love Camden … some of my most favorite vacations ever have been there. The night sky is spectacular.

6. marbleheadforever
    July 30th, 2009 @ 8:20 am

Beautiful pictures. I bet it was hard to leave!

July 30th, 2009 @ 10:29 am

Looks so beautiful!

8. Kaza Blog
    July 30th, 2009 @ 10:34 am

I, recently, stumbled across your lovely site and have been hooked ever since. Your photographs are incredibly beautiful. It may seem a strange question, but what camera do you use? Not that having a better camera will help me have a more artful eye-lol…but anything helps. Much thanks!

-Lisa

9. katy elliott
    July 30th, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Thanks Kaza.

I used two cameras for my trip. I have a Canon Powershot SD870IS a point and shoot….perfect 95% of the time. I borrowed a Nikon D200 from my brother for the road trip. The nikon is really heavy, big, and expensive. But takes great photo that have more depth and better tonal values.

I am thinking about getting a Nikon D40 about $450 and a few nice lens. A big more compact then most slrs and easier to use.

10. nole
    July 30th, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

Your little cottage looks so peaceful – what a lovely place to spend some time with your mom!

11. jennie
    March 23rd, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

what a lovely spot.

do you have any lodging recommendations for portland, maine? i’m planning a trip there for may and getting very inspired by your great trip archive!