Vegetable Box: Week 2

Posted on | June 18, 2009 | 14 Comments

Veggie Box: Week Two

I got my second vegetable box today. Some vegetables I kinda knew (napa cabbage & garlic scapes) and one I’ve never heard of. I joined the coop because I felt like I was in a cooking rut. I would eye beautiful unusual veggies at the farmer’s market but would never actually take the leap and buy them. What if it was gross? This week should be interesting. What the hell am I going to make with Kohlrabi? Kohlrabi is a purple root vegetable that some compare to a turnip. On the left are gorgeous garlic scapes.

veggie box: week 2

Veggie Box: Week Two

Related Posts
Vegetable Box: Week 1
Recipe: Strawberry, Blue Cheese, Walnut, Spinach Salad

Comments

14 Responses to “Vegetable Box: Week 2”

1. Jen
    June 18th, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

I use kohlrabi raw, sliced small with mozzarella and grape tomatoes drizzled with balsamic dressing. I use it in a lot of asian dishes almost like bamboo shoots. Though I mostly use it in cold vietnamese chicken salad with fish sauce (as an example http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/vietnamese-chicken-salad I use kohlrabi thinly sliced in place of some of the cabbage)

I set up a group on facebook for all us food co-op folks. Join us :0)

2. Jennifer
    June 18th, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

you'll have to let us know what you did and what you thought of it — I'm curious, myself.

3. Kristen
    June 18th, 2009 @ 2:40 pm
  4. Emily
    June 18th, 2009 @ 2:40 pm

Kohlrabi is yummy raw – peel and slice it, and then sprinkle with a little sea salt. That's how i like to eat it!

5. Kate F.
    June 18th, 2009 @ 3:20 pm

Yup, I used mine this week in an asian-inspired salad. I shave it with the vegetable peeler (peel it well, first) and dress it in rice vinegar, sesame oil, a bit of soy… Yum. I threw in finely shaved radishes too, because I had them.

6. Kate F.
    June 18th, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

(Oh, and I meant to say that I think it tastes more like the stem of broccoli than a turnip.)

7. Amy
    June 18th, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

kohlrabi is good with dill and cucumbers sliced thin with plain yogurt or sour cream..super yummy and refreshing and crunchy!

8. Monica
    June 18th, 2009 @ 4:55 pm

I got a kohlrabi for the first time in my CSA this week too. I basically made a simple slaw with balsamic rice vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Using dill and eating it with yogurt sounds delicious!

9. katy elliott
    June 18th, 2009 @ 5:09 pm

Maybe i will use the scapes to make pesto. One of my favorites.

10. katy elliott
    June 18th, 2009 @ 7:24 pm

I think tomorrow night I'll try a slaw with Kohlradi and maybe with some coconut rice and some salmon? I'll report back. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

11. Anonymous
    June 19th, 2009 @ 6:14 pm

It is delicious diced, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted for 30 minutes.

12. Tara
    June 19th, 2009 @ 7:55 pm

It is also available in light green! The kohlrabi, that is.

13. Anonymous
    June 21st, 2009 @ 5:14 pm

Very inspiring to read about what people are doing with their veggies. My life now revolves around our CSA box and design blogs.

14. everyeskimo
    June 23rd, 2009 @ 12:59 pm

kohlrabi is also great cut into small pieces and sauteed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. it softens up and has a mild taste… yes, like a broccoli stem.