Weck Canning Jars

Posted on | May 28, 2009 | 18 Comments

Picture 2 788492 Weck Canning Jars

Can a girl be in love with canning jars? Curvy lines and simple shapes have certainly seduced me. I’m on a canning mission this summer. I plan to can strawberry jam, blueberry jam, maybe raspberry, and definetly some tomato sauce. I planted 9 tomato plants in my very small garden including 2 San Marzanos (makes the best sauce). For as many years I can remember I’ve canned with the good old Ball jars. True american classics but I am looking to switch things up around here. You can order Weck jars through Weck’s website or purchase a limited selection from Heath Ceramics. Which shapes will I choose?

(discovered via bliss)

weck canning jars 02 782173 Weck Canning Jars
weck canning jars 757182 Weck Canning Jars
weck canning jars 03 757124 Weck Canning Jars

pixel Weck Canning Jars

Comments

18 Responses to “Weck Canning Jars”

1. Stephanie
    May 28th, 2009 @ 10:32 am

I use weck jars and I LOVE them. You can never have too many, I think.

I can't wait for canning season!

2. little miss
    May 28th, 2009 @ 10:44 am

Ahh yes – I saw these on Heath as well, and did some sleuthing. They're gorgeous, no? I also thought to use these in my upcoming wedding as centerpiece holders, and then can the heck out of them after its over!

3. Amanda
    May 28th, 2009 @ 10:47 am

These are the yummiest.

4. joscelyne cutchens
    May 28th, 2009 @ 11:37 am

I know the feeling of getting giddy at the sight of canning jars. it's a weird sickness, isn't it?! Do those weck jars reseal as well as the ball jars?

May 28th, 2009 @ 3:08 pm

Love! I like Mason jars too, but they might just be a Canadian thing??

6. Kathy Gillespie
    May 28th, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

These are beautiful. I have been longing all winter for that wonderful produce from the farmers market, and thinking…"this year I am going to do some canning"…and now you really have my juices flowing ….just the inspiration I needed!

7. moseyblog
    May 28th, 2009 @ 6:05 pm

gorgeous.

8. Laura.
    May 28th, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

oh, these are beautiful!

9. sarah k.
    May 29th, 2009 @ 8:24 am

I'm feeling a bit covetous. I've always used Mason or Ball, but they're really not pretty. But who can afford these?

10. katy elliott
    May 29th, 2009 @ 10:00 am

I hear ya sarah k they are a bit pricer.
    I was thinking about buying few that I plan to make tomato sauce in. The jam might stay in the good old ball jars. Ball jars can be cute if you cover the top of the lid with a pretty fabric. I like variety of shapes Weck offers. Helps deal with many different canning scenarios.

11. housethings
    May 29th, 2009 @ 8:00 pm

I remember thinking about those last summer. But, I didn't have a kitchen last summer. Thanks for the reminder!

12. Anonymous
    August 3rd, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

Really the Weck jars are not that expensive when you figure in that they last a lot longer. I have tons of canning jars and the Weck are by far the sturdest and most durable. They do not break! You will get years of service so figure in your cost over time and they are very reasonable. Plus they really are gorgous. I have a metal shelf in my kitchen which holds my pretty appliances and some canning jars. Everyone goes ga-ga over the Weck jars. They really are beautiful!

13. Anonymous
    September 5th, 2009 @ 4:31 am

Ball jars are OK – but they are hard to clean around the neck – before and after dishwashing often have to give them an extra scrub This problem does not plague Weck jars – tulip especially is easy to clean and once opened nice enough to serve in. Besides, the plastic coating on the lids of Ball jars may not be good for us- not if they contain polyphenol-a, an estrogenic chemical, an endocrine disruptor. Need to boycott plastics for health if not ecological reasons.

14. Melissa
    December 23rd, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

Wow, those are nice jars – I was thinking they might actually be able to keep those little bugs I keep gettting out – and still allow me to scoop flower. still expensive though…

anonymous; I have the wide mouthed/freezer friendly Ball jars and those are very easy to clean. You can can in them too. Thats a good point about the lining though, I’ll have to write ball…

15. Alison
    January 5th, 2010 @ 3:02 am

The metal lids used for canning do have BPA as part of the plastic coating on the inside where the food is: if you read the information right in the FAQ section of the Jarden website. Jarden makes all the canning jar lids in North America as far as I know. Link to the manufacturer FAQ:

16. BA
    January 16th, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I am an intense canner – make lots of jams and several batches of sweet and spicy salsa every year. I used to summer vacation in Canada and discovered BERNARDIN jars. They are the canadien version of the Ball jars. They just look a bit nicer.

I have used Weck jars and they are a bit tricker because you have to seal them with a rubber gasket rather than the plastic/rubber lid used with regular mason jars. You also have to attach these little metal clips to keep the glass lid in place until it seals.

But I agree they are quite nice-looking and worth the extra price. I have never found them in a store and only online.

17. CC
    February 2nd, 2010 @ 2:18 am

I just found 8 Weck jelly jars at Goodwill (brand new and in the box) for $1.99. Now if only spring and summer would arrive so I can start canning! I’d never heard of them before, but now I think I might be hooked!

18. J, Felix
    February 16th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

I see the comments are from pass years. I used the weck jars and love them. Pickeled cauliflower,carrots and peppers look great. I can all year round. But don’t do any pressure canning. Right now I am looking for an Italian jar, flat on one side and round on the other, Le STAGIONIO del” ORTO is the lid name. 2 pieces, flat lid and then the ring is a solid lid.