Wood Slice Walkway Inspiration

Posted on | March 16, 2009 | 22 Comments

3360132759 ede49776ab Wood Slice Walkway Inspiration

One last photo from the Portland Flower Show. I found this walkway so interesting decorated with wood slices. Looks like the slices are just laid into sand. Maybe a cool idea for a house in Maine or just any house in the woods. You might want to use more sand. The slices shown here did look a little wobbly.

Readers have suggested using larger slices and choosing rot-resistant wood like Black Locust, Douglas Fir, and or Cedar. By using thicker slices the wood could sink into the sand creating a more stable ground.

I was told the garden path is the work of Landmarcs out of Gorham, Maine. Click here to view their website.

Looking for more garden path inspiration, click here for gravel inspiration and here for gray rocks laid in a sidewalk in Salem, Massachusetts.

Update: I spotted another wood slice walkway at the 2011 Boston Flower & Garden show, click here to view photos. Am I sensing a trend?

3360132253 e8739d1cd4 Wood Slice Walkway Inspiration

Snug Harbor Farm at Portland Flower Show
No Outdoor Space? Try Gutter Gardens
Hanging Vertical Garden Planters
Gravel Garden Paths
Gray Rock Path in Salem, Massachusetts
More Inspiration for Gardens in New England

pixel Wood Slice Walkway Inspiration

Comments

22 Responses to “Wood Slice Walkway Inspiration”

1. Brandi Schaefer
    March 16th, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

How wonderful!

2. jana souza
    March 17th, 2009 @ 2:34 am

that is so cool; might have think about this for outdoor portion of our new studio (workspace) that we plan to redo this summer—wobbly won't do though with lil ones and clients so might have to have DH (he can mortar anything in place :) take a look into leveling well—love these; I have a thing for stumps and we have a few laying around that we picked up that were discarded–good for plant stands, putting fountains on, etc.

love your blog,

3. Amber
    March 17th, 2009 @ 6:09 am

I really love these. They are not as imposing as some paths and would look so beautiful disappearing under a tree, around a flower garden , following the fairies in the garden.

4. Elizabeth
    March 17th, 2009 @ 7:49 am

love this! thanks. :)

5. stephanie
    March 17th, 2009 @ 9:02 am

I love these – but I am a sucker for wood anything. Cleveland actually had a woodblock street still in use – it's chunks of wood wedged in tight together, and totally amazing.

6. Anonymous
    March 17th, 2009 @ 9:45 am

Katy- I don't know if you saw me stick my finger down into the sand surrounding the pieces of wood but the pieces seemed to be about six inches long, or about six inches buried into the sand. They really seemed quite stable.

Mom

7. Judy
    March 17th, 2009 @ 9:51 am

hey..I was there too? maybe we walked right by each other……I also put up some photos on my blog…….

8. phin@portlandyacht.com
    March 17th, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

It is important to select a rot resistant wood! Suggest black locust.

9. maureenlynne
    August 2nd, 2009 @ 10:17 am

love this idea…cost effective and kinda green….

10. Linda
    August 6th, 2009 @ 9:58 am

I'm in Maine right now and I think it would be great here or in Montana. Linda

11. zeke
    August 6th, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

Jana-

I would think twice bout using mortar. The sand (or gravel, come to that) will let the wood shrink and swell as it absorbs moisture and loses it. Mortar would not let the wood move, with the result that the wood (when it swells) will almost certainly break the mortar.

Phin-

Black Locust would be good, also douglas fir or cedar.

12. Harmer Designs
    August 21st, 2009 @ 10:08 am

Simply beautiful…will have to do this in my garden…well when i get one :D

13. Susan
    September 29th, 2009 @ 8:25 pm

I was looking for instructions on building a wooden walkway and found yours, it’s not at all what I was looking for…..but wow that’s just pretty! I’m thinking of doing a slice artpiece for over the mantle. It’s so unexpected and delightful. Well done.

14. Wendy
    October 1st, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

Oh, that is fantastic! I wonder if they need to be sealed to protect against water. I must figure out how they did this!

Thanks for sharing.

15. The Forest Path | ReadyMade Magazine
    October 3rd, 2009 @ 8:07 am

[...] Elliot posted this wood slice walkway that she observed at the Portland, Maine Flower Show back in the spring—but we just [...]

16. David
    October 4th, 2009 @ 10:50 am

That looks great. Would be better as a whole tree.

17. Cat
    November 7th, 2009 @ 12:57 am

I Love this design, its so organic, natural.

18. Wonderful Wood Sliced Walkway | Interior Design, Home Design ideas, Architecture, Furniture, Decorating - Homedug.com
    November 21st, 2009 @ 1:40 am

[...] design and appliances, well this natural wood sliced walkway looks great. I got this picture from Katy Elliot collection during her trip to the Portland Flower show. These wonderful pieces of nature will [...]

19. Wonderful Wood Sliced Walkway | Interior Design, Decorating, Furniture, Architecture, Home & House Design Magazine
    November 23rd, 2009 @ 10:44 am

[...] to much about this until I’ve saw this wonderful wood sliced walkway that was photographed by Katy Elliott during a trip to the Portland Flower show earlier this year. I think that this is a really good [...]

20. Nice Home Garden Patio & Wood Path Design Idea | Designs & Ideas at Dornob
    November 25th, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

[...] Katy Elliott spotted these at a flower show but they would make a great do-it-yourself garden project. Arranged in groups they can make broader outdoor patio surfaces and define gathering spaces while creating an array makes for an easy stepping-stone style path through existing greenery. Share [...]

21. Jennifer
    March 13th, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

A former employer of mine had these at her home since the 70s. I am not sure what type of wood she would use but they had to be regularly replaced due to rot, were very slick when it rained, and high heels would stick in them. My view was that they were a cute, but ont very practical idea.

22. Wonderful Wood Sliced Walkway « Interior & Architecture Design