Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

Posted on | January 8, 2009 | 7 Comments

3180306686 b671890dba Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

It’s time for some photos of our house renovation progress. We been slowly working on the bathroom on the first floor but have run into a number of problems. One the biggest issues: the floors are really sagging. Greg has spent months replacing the beams in the back section of the house. Funny because the back area is a new section that was added in the 1960s-70s. The sagging was due to water damage and settling that just wasn’t ever taken care of. All the problems were little problems and now have become big problems. #2 problem at the moment: the pipes froze when were gone in New York for a few nights. This being because we have no insulation in the house and that the first floor has it’s own furnace which is broken.

So here we are with our really gutted bathroom. (Click here to see more photos of what it did look like.) I know it looks really bad! We think this bathroom area was built sometime in the mid-1970s. We found some chip bags and newspapers in the floor boards from the 1970s. Greg is in the process of removing a concrete slab in the middle of the floor so we can flip flop the pipes. Before the toilet was on the right the tub on the left. The old configuration just doesn’t work because there is large window in the tub. We can’t change the window because of historic code so we have to flip the positioning. Who doesn’t love to gaze out the window when your on the throne? After we get the pipes in and the pitch just right then all the other fun stuff comes like new walls, insulation, floors. Don’t you want a fixer upper?

3179470551 57d7d73c7c Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

3180306938 0b08f0054b Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

3179470785 564f08611d Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

pixel Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!

Comments

7 Responses to “Renovation Update: Bathroom Really Gutted!”

1. P
    January 8th, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

Re: your comment on my blog. Are you kidding me? You are my Blog Goddess. I worship at your Temple.

(That sounded really creepy. I just really, really love your blog and think it's fab.)

2. Kelly
    January 8th, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

You too are crazy. But in a good way.

3. Ann
    January 8th, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

my husband and I did a total tear apart on our SF victorian and it was SUCH hard work, but SO worth it…. I got to vacuum out the inside of my walls! For some reason it was terribly exciting to know my house was spotless on the inside :)

4. Brittany Noel
    January 11th, 2009 @ 3:34 pm

This is so intense! I've always fantasized about renovating an old house. The memories and the history. It's like a living organism. I love old houses.

5. Maya@Completely Coastal
    January 22nd, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

Your house is absolutely beautiful…, and I thought our fixer upper Dutch Colonial by the sea (in Tiverton, RI) was old at the age of 79! If you want to take a pick, just scroll down on my blog and click on the sidebar images "My sweet Coastal Home".

6. Totalrenovering
    February 4th, 2009 @ 3:37 am

Thanks for sharing!

7. don
    April 26th, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

Hi,

Great stuff on the renovation, I am just about to start (restart) a reno of my 1920's school house in the Saratoga area.

Re: old relics… at our Albany shop in the backyard of the next door neighbors, they searched out the old outhouse pit from the early 1900's and searched throught the cast offs when it was filled in. Lots of old pottery and bottles.