Domino Magazine Closes

Posted on | January 28, 2009 | 16 Comments

domino closes

I honestly don’t know what to say. But the news is true. I can’t believe it. I worked at House & Garden that closed in November 2007 and now domino too. Am I cursed? I’m totally sad and wondering what will happen to all my favorite magazines? Join the discussion over at design*sponge.

p.s. what do I do now, paint?

Comments

16 Responses to “Domino Magazine Closes”

1. Kelly
    January 28th, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

Wow kate I am so sorry.

2. Mouse
    January 28th, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

ARGH. argh argh. want blueprint and domino back right this minute.

3. Anonymous
    January 28th, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

i'm so sad. i will really miss them. they filled a void that nobody else did.
    so do you, katie!

4. Liz Libré
    January 28th, 2009 @ 4:07 pm

It's so so sad. And kind of scary, to be honest. I knew the ad sales were grim – I just had no idea it was this bad. It's bloggers like you that will keep going what domino leaves behind. I really think.

5. please sir
    January 28th, 2009 @ 4:13 pm

I can't believe it either. Would love to get your feedback on the future of print. I think you would have great insight with your experience –

Thanks!

6. Anonymous
    January 28th, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

so sorry…

7. LizM
    January 28th, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

that is really upsetting :( I look forward to it so much every month

8. blackpearlpress
    January 28th, 2009 @ 6:17 pm

Miss Elliott: aside from the fact that you are an incredible resource for design tidbits and myriad unique sources (look at your posts on plaid blankets!) you are also renovating a darling house from the ground up. Make that more of a focus, documenting the process a bit more, and add some sponsors. You are very well-poised to spin this into something fabulous, more of a site than a blog.
    Do not despair! It's terrible news, and I feel badly for you and all of the other talent behind the magazine, but I have no doubt you'll pull through.

9. blackpearlpress
    January 28th, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

By the way, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds in saying that. Has just occurred to me that I might have been a bit bossy-sounding (not unusual).
    Yours is one of my most favoritest blogs — just thinking it could also be outrageously fabulous while paying for your renovations.

10. katy elliott
    January 28th, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

Thanks for for all your nice comments.

Blackpearlpress I appreciate the comments and advice. It gives me motivation!

11. Anonymous
    January 29th, 2009 @ 2:12 am

So sorry, Katy. I love your blog. You're a great writer and a creative spirit. Something good will develop for you.

12. Lynne
    January 29th, 2009 @ 7:32 am

I agree, I think your content is really good – go get some sponsors!

13. Jenn
    January 29th, 2009 @ 11:58 am

You can keep blogging. This one is one of my faves! Good luck!

14. Vanya @ Endless Inspiration
    January 29th, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

Oh my goodness this means you lose your job – I'm so sorry.

Hang in there – silver lining and all that.

15. Anonymous
    January 31st, 2009 @ 11:08 pm

I am really sorry to hear about Domino! I only just started subscribing to it several months ago after finding you. I can only imagine how disappointed you must be and it's got to be extremely tough on all of your friends at the magazine as well. It's such a great magazine. This economy is really hurting everyone. :(
    Nanc in San Francisco

16. Minda Brusse
    February 20th, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

I echo the lament above about losing Blueprint and Domino. Ugh. I was also a fan of Cottage Living which is also defunct. Sorry you lost your job because of the downturn.

I enjoy your blog a lot and keep us posted on how a creative person survives this downturn. Just got my John Robshaw catalog yesterday, thanks to a recommendation from you.