Blue Ombre Bowls

Posted on | January 30, 2009 | 8 Comments

new bowl from grammy 1.29.09

My grandmother sent me two of these gorgeous blue bowls. They are pretty heavy pottery and the outside has a ombre like finish. There are no markings to give me a clue where they could be from or how old they could be?

blue ombre bowls

Comments

8 Responses to “Blue Ombre Bowls”

1. Emerson Merrick
    January 30th, 2009 @ 9:51 am

I love them, what a nice grandma!

Those kind of heavy, very solid bowls are called stoneware, not sure where they could have been made but they look like they could be from the 30's. Beautiful glaze, too!

2. kathleen
    January 30th, 2009 @ 10:01 am

The shades of blue and green are lovely. Very pretty.

3. Char
    January 30th, 2009 @ 10:10 am

they are gorgeous! I love the color

4. Mouse
    January 30th, 2009 @ 10:29 am

No idea, but they are lovely!

5. Stephanie
    January 30th, 2009 @ 10:30 am

My mom collects bowls like this – I think they are a type of yellow ware (despite the name, they came in different color glazes and she has samples in dark blue, pale blue, white and green) and most date from the 1900s -1930s.

Here's a link to some:

6. katy elliott
    January 30th, 2009 @ 10:42 am

Thanks Stephanie. I think your right. I have a bunch of other yellow ware bowls. Most have stripes. I wasn't sure if these dated to the same time. I thought I remembered seeing a feature in martha about bowls in this ombre glaze? I have to research.

Thanks guys!

7. LindsB
    January 30th, 2009 @ 11:00 am

Ask Eddie Ross, he is the king of stuff like this, I bet he knows exactly what they are and the entire history about them. Good luck with the search!

8. Anonymous
    May 20th, 2009 @ 11:07 pm

These are astounding. I've never seen bowls like this.