$1 gift ideas

Posted on | November 13, 2008 | 15 Comments

Photo 60 777050 $1 gift ideas

Me looking goofy

I need your help! I am working on a $1 gift guide for domino and I am running out of ideas. If you have any cool projects you’ve done using products for under $1 let me know. It can be abstract so maybe one part of the project costs a dollar. I am also looking for stores that carry products for less then $1. Try to think of stores beyond just dollar stores. The best things I have found are usually from large antique stores or odd shops. Send me an e-mail or comment below and I will be sure to give you credit in my story due out in just 2 weeks! Thanks for everyone’s help and ideas in advance.

pixel $1 gift ideas

Comments

15 Responses to “$1 gift ideas”

1. Jill
    November 13th, 2008 @ 11:55 am

What immediately springs to mind are the dollar bins at the front of Target, but you probably already have that one?

2. mamacita
    November 13th, 2008 @ 12:54 pm

I love giving those strings of coins from Pearl River Mart. I think they're $1.25, though. I recommend taking something totally ordinary — like a dead branch or something — and spray-painting it gold. That makes anything FANCY. Good luck — I can't wait to see what you come up with.

3. Kathryn
    November 13th, 2008 @ 2:32 pm

How about custom buttons?

Maybe not as the gift itself, but as an embellishment for a card or gift?

4. k
    November 13th, 2008 @ 3:00 pm

I'm not sure if things on sale for under a dollar count, but cb2 has some things, including these andy warhol butterfly plates…

5. Kara
    November 13th, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

How about lottery tickets?

6. k
    November 13th, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

oh and cb2 also has these candle holders for $.95 which they also show being used as a pencil cup or as a tiny pot for a succulent. I would love to get a little plant in one of these… or some home made candy…

7. mimi
    November 13th, 2008 @ 9:22 pm

I once saw a piggy bank at Christmas Tree shop that I painted for my grandaughter.

8. katek
    November 14th, 2008 @ 11:19 am

What about an Eddie Ross style shadowbox, using an old frame and a cool silverplate piece of silverware from Goodwill? I just got a lot of neat old butter spreaders and weird iced tea spoons and stuff for .99 each at GW…

9. katy elliott
    November 14th, 2008 @ 5:46 pm

Thanks guys. I love all your ideas. I found some good ones today up and Maine…can't wait to share!

10. LindsB
    November 15th, 2008 @ 1:45 pm

How about doing something with glass jars, like the ones you get when you buy red sauce. I always wash mine out and re-use them to store stuff, or to hold bits of ribbon, buttons, or other small things as decoration.

11. jezebel
    November 17th, 2008 @ 1:50 am

I'm a huge fan of paper party masks- the best ones are always unearthed at super old school variety stores.

12. jezebel
    November 19th, 2008 @ 3:11 pm

Also, have you used seashells? Free, except the course of transporting yourself to the beach.

13. Jenny Lee Fowler
    November 22nd, 2008 @ 2:23 am

Some of my favorites: little brass turn switches that screw onto and sweeten up new and old lamps alike(Ace Hardware), pipe cleaners (see Soft Chandelier by Ginger Ertz at http://www.albanyairport.com/art_concourse.php), and the splurge at about 4-8 bucks– Angora Mini Watercolor Set. Perhaps you could find a nicer paintbrush to go with it for $1?

14. katy elliott
    November 22nd, 2008 @ 8:49 am

All great ideas! My story is due out next Thursday on T-day. Stay tuned.

15. Amy
    November 23rd, 2008 @ 2:16 pm

i know this might be a little late… but P& T surplus in kingston…lots of unusual odds and ends priced by the weight or whatever the guy thinks which is usually about a $.