The Saga of Buying A Gas Stove: Blue Star

Posted on | September 7, 2008 | 9 Comments

After our first official week in the house we are pretty sick of eating out. I really need to pick out a gas range but I am having a pretty tough time choosing. Not because I have so many choices but rather nothing meets my expectations.

I’ve been shopping about 4 times now, scoured the internet, newspapers, and craigslist. I’ve checked out Wolf, Viking, DCS, GE, and Electorolux. I didn’t really like any of them. To me Wolf or Viking was the best but a totally killer to our budget at about $5,300 for a 30″ range. I love to cook and consider it one of my main hobbies so laying down a bit of dough doesn’t bother me. I need a stove that I love and can take a beating. I’m not so concerned with looks but rather utility. The higher end stoves seem to have less gadgets and electronics and turn up some serious heat. Lower end stoves have lots of unnecessary electronics, gadgets, and devices I will never use. I am frustrated by the quality and the outrageous prices.

Last night I was searching for an alternative that might meet my expectations without completely blowing my budget. I came across Garden Web’s appliances forum which offers some great advice from real consumers. I read over a number of posts with the same complaints as me: no quality at a reasonable price. What other reader’s recommended was looking at Blue Star or American. Both stoves are heavy duty restaurant quality stoves but about $1,500-$2,000 less then a Wolf or Viking. I was intrigued.

I did my research and found that Blue Star might best suit my cooking style and needs in a stove. Sunday morning Greg and I headed over to Eurostoves in Beverly, MA to check them out. A super helpful staff showed me a few different stoves and actually let me turn the stoves on! What a freakin miracle…someone actually let me test drive a product that I am considering spending some major cash on. (I wanted to test the GE Cafe because I heard rumors of loud fans and gas burning out due to rear fans. I thought if I could test it I would find out for myself. Try to find a showroom that they actual allow you to use it. Totally crazy and such a poor way to showcase a product!) I love the Blue Star. I love the continuous grates, the 22,000 BTU burner, an oven large enough for commercial baking sheets! I wanted to buy it on the spot but of course I am hestistant because it is still pretty pricey at $3,799. Is is worth the price if I can’t find anything to complain about?

New Stove Is in!
Water Heater Drama
House Renovation: Unedited Version

Comments

9 Responses to “The Saga of Buying A Gas Stove: Blue Star”

1. katek
    September 8th, 2008 @ 10:18 am

Go for it! I have a white enamel 30" viking, which replaced a 1950s powerhouse with a sadly tiny oven (or I would have kept it) and it's great. So worth having enough BTUs; our old place had such a weak stove that it took about 45 minutes to boil water for pasta. I really don't think we paid $5000 for the stove, though. I'm afraid it was a bit of a gift/surprise from my husband so I don't know the exact amount, but I think it was closer to $3500. BTW we have an historic home too, and I love bridging the gap between our old white enamel stove and the modern Viking by having the white enamel instead of stainless. There's a link from the top of my blog (linked in my name) to house pics if you want to see it in place.

2. katy elliott
    September 8th, 2008 @ 10:22 am

I did actually look at your kitchen last week. Looks great! My boyfriend totally wanted a white enamel front after seeing yours. I think I might just stick to stainless because I'm totally indecisive and I always change my mind. Thanks for your help!

-katy

3. katek
    September 8th, 2008 @ 10:47 am

Nice! I checked w/ my husband and ours was $3700 (including delivery, etc.)–I'd check that price you're being quoted to make sure the place isn't trying to rip you off.

4. katy elliott
    September 8th, 2008 @ 10:59 am

Wow! That's super strange. You live in the Boston area, right? Do you mind asking him where he purchased the stove?

5. katek
    September 8th, 2008 @ 11:14 am

J.D. Daddario in Newton. One thing that made ours cheaper was that we had to get all gas, no dual-fuel. Still, $2K is a LOT! (And while I've had a bit of a time adjusting to the gas oven, the broiler is out of this world.)

6. katy elliott
    September 8th, 2008 @ 11:17 am

Thanks Kate! That helps a lot. I will give them a call. I never knew picking out a stove would be such a crazy task!

7. cats
    September 8th, 2008 @ 5:30 pm

I bought a 36" Thermador a year ago that I LOVE!! It was $1600 (with tax and delivery), and I actually like it more than my mom's Viking (which she's had a lot of problems with.) Good luck!

8. Justine
    January 2nd, 2009 @ 12:11 am

I really appreciate all the take about stoves. I've put my kitchen remodel on hold until I decide on our stove. I also enjoy cooking and have been looking at the Wolf and Viking because I've tested both but the price is too high for us. I'm interested in knowing where "cats" found the 36" Thermador for $1600? I'm in California.

9. Ashley
    October 6th, 2009 @ 9:44 am

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel myself, my first i might add and i have explored every option…did you know that viking has a designer series its much less than the viking professional..